What would you make

Adrianfreston

erm... in all seriousness I would not recommend just mixing the fluids yourself for UV smoke fluid, leave it to the pro's to come up with the mixtures, for one reason if it all goes wrong then its their ars*e on the line in court, and the other is they understand how their individual machines operate, have the facilities to produce the fluids, and importantly the means to test them in a controlled environment...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The concept of UV smoke is a good one, however I would also like to say that I sighed with relief when you said you would not try to do it your self. As has been pointed out, you are messing with too many factors to try this. Most importantly you could end up adversely effecting peoples health either in the short or long term. You could damage or destroy you smoke machine, cause a fire or any number of other connotations!

The idea is good, but your solution maybe bad. I would suggest putting a post in the Pyro and Smoke section to see if any of the manufactures can come up with a way to make it work, with out get your self sued, killed, burnt, damaged or destroyed.

I don't want to stem the flow of ideas but think that it is apt to remind people that these are just idea's. Maybe we will hit on something that people would use and is safe and maybe this is something that you can make or that you need the right help to make.

Go Safe! Keep them coming!

Adrian

I also agree that U.V. smoke would be an excellent idea, IF it could be made safely by a reputable manufacturer. The idea of "Homebrewed" concoctions is somewhat worrying. As has been stated above, the risk of damaging someones health or frying your machine is a very real one. Some input from Jem or LeMaitre would be good, even if just to say no.

UV smoke....

I think I had some of this a few years ago... Now it might just be my memory playing tricks on me, but at the "live" show at alexander palace back in about 2000 I am sure that that there was a company exhibiting who did UV bubble fluid for bubble machines and some UV fog fluid, of which I took both samples away with me, and used the fog fluid that week, and never used the bubble fluid as it caused staining.

...Plasa Rant...

As for people inventing new stuff for plasa... Well in general there is nothing left to invent, clay paky summed it up a few years ago (around the time when mac 500's came out) with the best thing that they could invent was the "astro scan" golden scan body with 2 mirrors that move around in a circle (woohoo!!!)

Everybody wanted scans, so they invented them, everybody wanted moving yokes so they invented them equally now everybody wants led's but its hardly re-inventing the wheel using led's... Unfortunately the further development of LED based fixtures lies a lot more with the LED manufacturers than just the likes of lighting manufacturers, and they will come on and be more powerful and brighter and not get as hot but that is just general product evolution. Unfortunately in this market (the lighting sector) it has reached the end of its natural progression and until somebody new invents something new the manufacturers will just stagnate. The newest "technological" development was the catalyst system by highend which shows that lighting is departing away from just lamp based system to a much more complicated video control system, which as cool as catalyst is I really don't think that I will ever use it or even need to use it.

People may laugh at pulsar who have had the same exhibition stand at plasa for the last 13million years, who haven't spent thousands in R&D on their lighting desks, but they did send them away for a new coat of paint! But they still work, and work fairly well, are still spec'd and installed in new installations all over the country, they are absolutely fantastic for programming LED colour changers on. But it appears that they might have had the right idea when it comes towards development. And give it a couple of years and the masterpiece will have a new found level of popularity again!!!

But as for what I would invent....

I like the idea of sharpie lids that fit lanyards, maybe a kinetic motion maglite that charges in your pocket as you are walking round, maybe with rgb colour mixing (maybe that is too much) I would also like to invent no melt gel for scrollers that does exactly what it says on the tin, maybe some silent scrollers, a cheap and reliable wireless DMX system I think my list could go on...

was looking at the models of the Star wars films online the other day and saw something called LightSheet. This stuff was used on the engines for the Millenium Falcon etc. All you needed to do was connect to a battery\power source and this stuff would glow. This could be very cool for peices of set assuming it can possibly change colour.

Taking this idea to a collosal level I thought it would be pretty cool if people started looking in to photo electric substances that react to varying voltages. Maybe we could start having entire cycs that can be controlled to give any image simply by using individually controlled cells (like plasma screens but cheaper).

Just a thought.

Dave

Taking this idea to a collosal level I thought it would be pretty cool if people started looking in to photo electric substances that react to varying voltages. Maybe we could start having entire cycs that can be controlled to give any image simply by using individually controlled cells (like plasma screens but cheaper).

Several people are working on it at the moment, google on OLEP or see here olep

Thinking aloud here (sorry I'll turn it down)

but how about some sort of universal terminator that your cable fits permanently into one side and your connector end snap/click/twist/other-locks onto other side as required.

As in 'oh bother I've just run this long signal run and now found that I have the wrong end, no matter I'll just detach it and put on the right end with no need to re-solder or add bulky adapters'

Does that make sense? To anyone?

but how about some sort of universal terminator that your cable fits permanently into one side and your connector end snap/click/twist/other-locks onto other side as required.

Sounds like RJ45 to me ;)

in an ideal world I would have radio power but I think there are too many problems for that to ever happen (think people tuning in their car radios wrong and zap)

the sharpie idea is a good one but here are mine:

1: some form of downwards air jet system in large flightcases (think hovercraft) instead of wheels so that when some numpty has laid a 125A three phase cable accross the load in door before the truck is empty you don't have to lift them accross

2: a comfortable harness so that it can be worn the whole time during a gig instead of putting it on and taking it off the whole time. maybe one built into a pair of trousers or something

really hard wearing fingerless gloves for rigging

Try a decent pair of sailing gloves - £30-odd quid will get you a lovely pair of sailing gloves with just the thumb and fore-finger missing (having the other three fingers coverd can be very handy for the occasional nudge of a hot thing when up a ladder). They must be good - otherwise mine wouldn't get nicked so often!

Along the idea of creating stuff yourself did nayone see this LSI article on the newsletter the other day:

DHA seeks new designs for Gobo library

UK - DHA Lighting, manufacturer of gobos with over thirty years experience in the field, is looking to expand its extensive gobo library with a new Designers' Collection - a range of gobos inspired or created by lighting designers.

If you have the perfect gobo, the gobo you've always needed or wanted, lodged in your imagination, then now is the time to get the idea to DHA. Submissions in any form are welcome, whether a rough description, an adaptation of an existing gobo or a fully formed design on paper or in electronic format. The range will include metal, glass and coloured glass gobos, so just about any design can be realized.

The new Collection will be launched by DHA early next year, listed in a new Designers' Collection section of the DHA gobo library with the gobo's creator fully credited. Pricing will be as DHA's existing gobos, with the new gobos available from stock as with the current range. Ideas or designs can be submitted to DHA by post, by fax or by email, see below.

(Sarah Rushton-Read)??

Sam

Archived