Regal Wealth / Pro Power 'starquad' cable

Yorkie

I have had a drum of this cable for a few months and have only just got round to using it. I notice that it's only 5mm thick whereas most mic cables are 6mm or more; the difference is visibly noticeable. Has anyone used this cable and experienced any durability issues due to the thickness of the cable? I'm looking at making standard 5 & 10m mic cables with it.

It's pretty flexible, and the only problem is that the outer jacket is a little thin. It seems not to crack, but it does squash. Getting it caught under a drum riser almost flattens it - and it doesn't recover. The only other star quad I've ever bought was the Canford stuff - but what a price difference!

Starquad typically has a higher capacitance per metre, so this should be taken into consideration. Unfortunately, that information doesn't seem to be on the website.

Also, it is common to denote the two "legs" by colouring the cores the same. It's not very helpful (in the example given) to have four different colours.

I'm aware of the higher capacitance, and how to wire it up. The reason for having this cable is that it was offered to me very reasonably, at about half of the current CPC price, therefore meaning that was about as cheap as a 100m of mic cable comes. Thanks Paul and Andrew, I can now suitably inform the people who want to buy some off me why it's so cheap. (I'm selling it at not far off cost to a church group and I'm sure it will suit them.)

Archived