Rigging Lights With Cable Ties...

gallente

In reply to those who talk about suspending an SWA wit the self same cable ties:

Where in the country? And it what context?

For example Twickenham, every 5th tie must be a steel one, in case of fire. The standard operating temperature of an cable is 70C. Give me an example where a specification is not altered if the ambient temperature is higher than 25C

The Likelihood of an SWA failing its supports (one every 400mm to be fair as a general rule) is a lot less.

Consider the weight of 1200mm of SWA, 4 core 240mm each core. It is not as much as, nowhere near as much as a 'mobile DJ' spec Light from a high street/catalogue (cpc/farnell) retailer and has 3 ties supporting it.

A light in the instance in which this refers to typically (I live near preston (faraday drive anyone?)) has two cable ties holding it to the bar, in a shorter area, in a position in relation to their load which makes them vunerable (sharp bends, flat areas) in relation to the job a cable tie is designed for (radiused bends, shallow angles, not a lot of flat planes)

As I state above (twickenham) if a tie is deemed to be a risk, then steel ones are used. Not so in the case which started this debate. I am not defending the use of ties to support lanterns of any shape or form, I have seen it done, and my eyes 'popped' when I saw it, and disagree with the idea. But, to compare it to the support of a cable is wrong, as I have hopefully explained.

Also bear in mind the example these retailers set to their consumers, You are told to 'lead by example' So, the purchasers of these lights follow the example set by the retailer... I don't have to elaborate do I?

It is not only the retailer named in this post that is at fault, there are others doing it to demo their kit too. But the same retailer AFAIK does it in preston too.

Mikienorth

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for everyones reply. I think ive got enough information and proof from you guys that it is most deffinatly NOT a good idea. Hopefuly if he listens to me things will b sorted soon, if not, as I said im leaving, but I will tell the regional manager and send him a copy of this topic, and then things should get sorted. If not, god help us all! I'll get back to you with the results

Hellerman will sell you stainless steel cable ties with a minimum tensile strength of upto 2225N, with a suitable safety factor I'd be happy to use one. When was the last time you saw a load-rated, tested & certified hook clamp in use...?

The hook clamps I had on PAR's that I just hired from whitelight had SWL's stamped on.

I have seen cable ties used aswell. While on holiday in Blackpool there was a shop on one of the piers (can't remeber which one) that had 5 parcans(I think) cable tied to a triangular truss.

I'm fairly new at this so I couldnt tell you what the beam was or anything, but both me and my brother had a close look and all we could see where two cable ties per light. The shop was called CDUk and the lights were hung above the door. Can someone please correct me if they know any different.

Geoffrey

I work for maplin in salford, we have managed to get g clamps on everything but it did require some persuading. convince your store manager to either buy some from stock with petty cash if need be or convince him to write a set off to shrinkage on the basis that its cheaper than legal fees.

My local Maplin Clamp you in the car park if you go for cash to buy stuff in the store, then demand 70 quid to release you.

Guess how I found thhat out...

Little row with manager and I was released for free, but the clampers are watching the car park all the time.

And their lights at Maplin Preston, are rigged with ties, or at least were on saturday...

Archived