Band Lighting Advice

DJTOM10

Hello,

I am looking for some band lighting advice that I can use to light my band with in a school production performance. If you guys can help me - that would be great!

In our school production - we normally run a 5-7 piece band that our school has contact with from outside of school. They are coming to perform our music for our school production this year.

I have enough lighting equipment to light the main performance but I don't have any stock left to light up the band so I was thinking of hiring in some extra wash lighting and maybe some moving heads?

If I was going to use extra wash lighting for the band - I would also need to hire in some extra dimmers as we are using all the channels on ours :)

My current stock list contains of lighting fixtures from a company called Strand. I am looking to hire in some moving heads which are the Isolution IMOVE 250S or the Martin Mac 250 Entour.

Our band are normally raised on stage platforms that will go onto the main stage to give the band extra height + look like they are the main part of the show.

I was thinking of rigging the wash lighting above with our rigging system and having the moving heads at different levels on the band's stage but I am worried about the band knocking them off and damaging them. The other idea I thought of was to put a 4-6 metre truss system with crank stands behind the band and run 4-6 moving heads above them crowd scanning the band + stage and also audience.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,

Tom

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most bands in shows don't special lighting as they are there to support the actors/performers rather than be the focus of attention, in fact, if they are trying to read their music scores and you are flashing multi-coloured beams over what they are trying to read they may have a few unpleasant words for you.

The human eye is naturally drawn firstly to movement and secondly the brightest thing so I would keep the band lighting simple and concentrate on your main actors performers.

If you still want to add some interest, why not use strong colours at acute angles and use birdies to closely highlight the shiny bits such as the drumkit

I'm confused too. Is this a music event, or a show - probably a musical. You need to also consider what exactly you want the lighting to do. Make the band more exciting, make sure that the audience watch them, not anyone else?

Personally, if you cannot fit the movers into your permanent grid, then you really may not have enough scale to do this. The Martins are much better than I-moves in the same way that a Merc is better than a Hyundoeweloodoo made in Korea from recycled bean cans - although they both have 4 tyres.

The Company called Strand are quite well known, by the way.

avoid stands and truss. Mainly because truss strong enough to hold a few full size movers is going to be weighty. Perching it on tall stands will take up plenty of floor space, get in the way, and probably mean some H&S zealot will fence it off and make everyone wear hard hats in case an out of control student crashes into it and knocks the entire pile down.

I've read some of your other posts on the forum....

It sounds like the Production is Mama Mia, and is in December.

To be honest, is sounds like you want to hire a Pearl, some moving lights, and some truss in the form of a goalpost-type arrangement, and are looking to justify this to your teachers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally, I wouldn't draw too much attention to the band in a show like Mama Mia, as oppose to a show like We Will Rock You, where the band play a central part to the theme in some places. By all means though have some movers and such like - Abba music is quite high energy in places, and some good effects can be created, as well as having the versatility for these fixtures during the slower numbers.

A lot can be done with moving head lights placed on the floor 'upside down' as it were, and creates an interesting extra dimension to your lighting design.

Floor mounted truss is a safety nightmare, especially if a simple goalpost is what you're planning. What stops people knocking it over? It's also a lot of the budget spent on something that doesn't actually light up, which could be spent on a few more of 'the right type of fixture' instead.

Good luck with your show.

Kev

Most bands in shows don't special lighting as they are there to support the actors/performers rather than be the focus of attention, in fact, if they are trying to read their music scores and you are flashing multi-coloured beams over what they are trying to read they may have a few unpleasant words for you.

The human eye is naturally drawn firstly to movement and secondly the brightest thing so I would keep the band lighting simple and concentrate on your main actors performers.

If you still want to add some interest, why not use strong colours at acute angles and use birdies to closely highlight the shiny bits such as the drumkit

I know that most bands in productions don't normally get lit up but the director of our production has requested that we make the band stand out in the show.

I can understand what you are trying to say about having flashing lights etc spinning around whilst they are trying to read music etc.

I will try that tip that you have suggested about using bright colours at actue angles and birdies.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Some clue as to the style / type of music / name of production may help those on here a little more.

The show is Mammia Mia (School's Edition).

The music will be disco music + some slow stuff

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

I've read some of your other posts on the forum....

It sounds like the Production is Mama Mia, and is in December.

To be honest, is sounds like you want to hire a Pearl, some moving lights, and some truss in the form of a goalpost-type arrangement, and are looking to justify this to your teachers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally, I wouldn't draw too much attention to the band in a show like Mama Mia, as oppose to a show like We Will Rock You, where the band play a central part to the theme in some places. By all means though have some movers and such like - Abba music is quite high energy in places, and some good effects can be created, as well as having the versatility for these fixtures during the slower numbers.

A lot can be done with moving head lights placed on the floor 'upside down' as it were, and creates an interesting extra dimension to your lighting design.

Floor mounted truss is a safety nightmare, especially if a simple goalpost is what you're planning. What stops people knocking it over? It's also a lot of the budget spent on something that doesn't actually light up, which could be spent on a few more of 'the right type of fixture' instead.

Good luck with your show.

Kev

Yes that information is correct but since I posted that thread - I have changed my ideas since then.

Now I am thinking along the lines of some movers at different levels on the raised platform where the band are going to be performing but I am worried about the band knocking them off and damaging them. The other idea I had was to put 4 vertcial trusses behind the band and put a moving head on top and uplight the truss.

Something along the lines of this but on a smaller scale -

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz144/DJTOM10/ilights3.jpg

Thanks Kev!

Tom

If it's a school production, then does the person in charge know that you are going to spend large amounts of money on band lighting of this kind. If you wanted the lights for the actors, singers and dancers, I can see it being something they might fund, but who is the most important part of the show? The Band? If they are then sure, spend all the money on them, and leave the actors in the few fresnels and profiles you have.

Too complicated, too expensive, and too prone to disaster. The band probably won't even notice they've had all the special treatment.

If it's a school production, then does the person in charge know that you are going to spend large amounts of money on band lighting of this kind. If you wanted the lights for the actors, singers and dancers, I can see it being something they might fund, but who is the most important part of the show? The Band? If they are then sure, spend all the money on them, and leave the actors in the few fresnels and profiles you have.

Too complicated, too expensive, and too prone to disaster. The band probably won't even notice they've had all the special treatment.

Yes the director knows that I am going to be spending some money on lighting equipment hire.

I would use moving heads etc for the actors etc but our rigging won't be able to take the weight and support them.

The director has requested that I try and do something with the band as the director wants them to be included in the show more.

What do you suggest I do?

The director has requested that I try and do something with the band as the director wants them to be included in the show more.

You don't actually have to light the band to 'include' them in the show; you just need to do something so that the audience will look their way.

Even a simple upstage truss with a pile of PAR cans on pointing towards the audience will add a focal point at the band. It could be as simple as 4 pairs of cans. Go for a narrow beam angle, some interesting directions and a bit of haze and bobs your uncle. Stick in some basic overhead units to light the band in 'white' and you're away. For moody numbers you leave the band with just their lit music stands and bring up some looks on the upstage truss; for upbeat numbers run chases on the U/S truss. For number where the band are the focal point them bring in the top lighting as well. If you've got budget left then two or four movers, probably units with gobos, D/S of the band and on the floor can give you some more looks to play with.

You don't actually have to light the band to 'include' them in the show; you just need to do something so that the audience will look their way.

Even a simple upstage truss with a pile of PAR cans on pointing towards the audience will add a focal point at the band. It could be as simple as 4 pairs of cans. Go for a narrow beam angle, some interesting directions and a bit of haze and bobs your uncle. Stick in some basic overhead units to light the band in 'white' and you're away. For moody numbers you leave the band with just their lit music stands and bring up some looks on the upstage truss; for upbeat numbers run chases on the U/S truss. For number where the band are the focal point them bring in the top lighting as well. If you've got budget left then two or four movers, probably units with gobos, D/S of the band and on the floor can give you some more looks to play with.

I have thought about what I am going to do about the band lighting.

I am going to rig up to 12 par cans or led par cans up on the above rigging having white + coloured gels in for the band and then I am going to have 4 moving heads on the bands stage like this

Mover - 2 band members - mover - drummer - mover - 2 band members - mover

What do you think?

Sorry - but could you just let us have a look at the lighting plan, we can't visualise what you mean. even a scan of the one you're using would help - it will let us see the actual space you have and where you are putting them.

Here is my plan.

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz144/DJTOM10/Untitled-1.jpg

It will look like the picture below but without the movers on truss at the back and a moving head at the end of the platforms.

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz144/DJTOM10/ilights3.jpg

Hi Tom,

Personally, I'd be tempted to do something a bit more like this (assuming that the band are indeed at the back of the stage).

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab73/tornado-multimedia/bandLX.png

Of course, it's up to you to ensure that all this is Rigged safely and I take no responsibility for your actions regarding placement of the lights.

Josh

I was under the impression that the point of the extra lights you wanted to hire was to light the band. What you've said makes it seem like you're using these lights to light the main stage (albeit from the band platform). If you use them to light the band from the position you've indicated you're likely to really annoy the band with lights shining directly in their faces. Also, I assume that the band platform isn't going to be a huge distance above the audience or stage level, in which case if you plan on lighting any of the stage with these fixtures you will probably end up blinding the audience. Finally, be careful that the band don't hit (or block the movement of) the movers - they're not the kind of thing you want to break!

I much prefer the other idea that you mentioned of having parcans or LEDcans lighting the band from above. If you plan on using LEDcans, beware that cheap (and even many more expensive ones) tend to flicker as you dim them or change between colour. I have used a number of LED fixtures which seem to have steps between colours (though this isn't much of a problem over a shorter fade).

Archived