Radio Controlled Pyro System on ebay

paulears

I always presumed that gates like that would have something to stop it closing on people/pets/cars, like lift doors do?

From what I can recall, ours at work (which never works anyway!) does, but it's just a small sensor, not something that covers the full height of the gate, so that it could be fooled by say a bicycle if the sensors could 'see' through it's spokes. I'm not sure if there is another one higher up.

My guess is the girl was below the sensor or stood astride of it. You would have thought they would have a better detection method!

The other accident refered to, IIRC was when the gate opened, the child was caught between the gate and fencing as it opened, obviously due to a lack of protection around the area the gate opens in to.

I doubt they have sensors when they are opening either.

It strikes me that manufacturers should be looking at making the area around electric gates safer and have more safety cut outs, after all they are often in residential areas with children and pets!

It strikes me that manufacturers should be looking at making the area around electric gates safer and have more safety cut outs, after all they are often in residential areas with children and pets!

I haven't done anything with sliding gates or commercial stuff, but have done a few domestic ones. The sensor which stops it closing is just a light beam, but anything breaking it even for a fraction of a second stops the gate so if sensibly positioned it should do the trick although abviously won't stop somebody being crushed behind a gate when it opens. BUT..... They also had quite sensitive current monitoring on the motors so you could set the running current and hence the force on the gate, and also a trip level at which it cuts out so if properly set up it should prevent anything too nasty happening.

Don't even need a garage remote (not a common item), you can do that one with a TV remote!

"Press the green button to start. Red button to stop".

What happens if the red button is broken?

I haven't done anything with sliding gates or commercial stuff, but have done a few domestic ones. The sensor which stops it closing is just a light beam, but anything breaking it even for a fraction of a second stops the gate so if sensibly positioned it should do the trick although abviously won't stop somebody being crushed behind a gate when it opens. BUT..... They also had quite sensitive current monitoring on the motors so you could set the running current and hence the force on the gate, and also a trip level at which it cuts out so if properly set up it should prevent anything too nasty happening.

The HSE issued a safety notice in September 2010 as a result of these incidents:

Powered Gates

Archived