Nice device - but just think what could happen?

paulears

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have at least 100 birdies all with 3pin XLR, wired to the standard of a few of the companies round here. the juice flows against the pins unlike sound kit and pin 1 isnt used. Dont see a problem as the 3 pin XLR isnt afterall an audio connector, its connector designed for connecting test equipment in an Ultra Low Resisance fashion thats been adopted. If you want to go plugging yer mics and mixersinto an unlabeled box with a mains connector on the end you possibly deserve all you get. Its not mains voltage agter all, no one will get hurt other than in the wallet.

We have at least 100 birdies all with 3pin XLR, wired to the standard of a few of the companies round here. the juice flows against the pins unlike sound kit and pin 1 isnt used.

It's too bad that became the defacto standard. Having either AC or DC across pins 2 and 3 may damage a mic, or any other audio gear plugged into it by accident, depending on the voltage and current. Having the voltage, either AC or DC + on pins 2 and 3, and - on pin 1 makes it harmless to most audio equipment. It also makes heavy gauge mic cable usable to power the birdies since you double up the 18ga or 20ga conductors to end up with an equivalent to 14ga or 16ga, with the already heavier gauge braided shield as the other conductor. This is less useful with light duty cable that might be as small as 22ga or 24ga, with a spiral shield.

Better yet would have been what has been a low voltage power standard for a long time in the film and TV industry of 4 pin XLR. I don't know if 2 pin XLR connectors are made anymore, but they were primarily a power connector.

Mac

[

Better yet would have been what has been a low voltage power standard for a long time in the film and TV industry of 4 pin XLR. I don't know if 2 pin XLR connectors are made anymore, but they were primarily a power connector.

Mac

never seen 2 pin XLRs, the mains ones that I have seen were still 3 pin, just a smaller pin in the centre as the earth.

like these. was never quite sure why iecs took off and not these. (apart from the 5A limit)

I have to say, I tend to take the approach that we should take steps to mitigate against idiots, but there is no such thing as 'idiot-proof'. If some numpty wants to plug his Neumann U47 into that, then he will pay handsomly for his education and deserves it.

A small label indicating it was providing 12v power could be a nice idea, but beyond that, people need to know what they are doing.

Anyway, if we want to talk about confusing mixed cabling standards - then what about socapex? We use that for speaker multis just like lighting use it for power multis. A friend of mine had his Q1 soca connected to a dimmer rack once. It was an interesting sound...

never seen 2 pin XLRs, the mains ones that I have seen were still 3 pin, just a smaller pin in the centre as the earth.

like these. was never quite sure why iecs took off and not these. (apart from the 5A limit)

Ah... you'll note that Canford say that they are effectively discontinued! Those Neutrik LNE connectors were an update of the Cannon mains connector. There are several features which made them unsuitable for the domestic market (including the fact that they could be opened without use of a tool).

Other factors that stopped them becoming popular included limited power handling and price. However, I always kept one in the mains cable trunk after one gig where a hired Yamaha CP80 turned up without its LNE mains lead...

The power connector that was used extensively on equipment needing a separate cable was the Bulgin range. This was made from Bakelite or hard plastic, and most versions didn't have a good cable anchorage, had screw off tops and were very rarely terminated satisfactorily. When appliance testing came in, I remember putting hundreds of red stickers on Bulgin fitted gear. Although they bought out an improved version, the IEC range had caught on (we retrofitted hundreds of pieces of lab gear with ICE sockets), and the connector became ubiquitous across domestic and industry users.

Neutrik's Powercon isn't usuable in the domestic market, but is pretty good in terms of cost, design and power density.

What we don't have is a dedicated low voltage connector. I'm guessing that different voltage, current and supply type requirements means that it's unlikely to appear?

Simon

As Mackerr says, in the TV and film industry, a four pin XLR is the standard for low voltage stuff. The input to cameras, portable mixers, etc. etc. tends to be this way as does the output of battery belts, mains adaptors, etc.

No sense re-inventing the wheel.

Yammy electric grands had a 2 pin XLR power inlet.

As far as I'm aware, this one had been converted to an LNE...

Should have been clearer :D

There was a power supply in a box with a Euro inlet, and it plugged into the piano using an XLR2. A google image search has failed to find a photo as proof :** laughs out loud **: CP70 or CP80, something like that.

"We" do in fact have a low voltage connector, however you may care to remain seated when you see the price, ** laughs out loud **:

Indeed -but I've not seen one in use! The standard suggests quite a few possible variations to allow for different voltage ranges, ac and or dc and frequency. The purple connectors are supposed to be 20-25V, so technically wouldn't be appropriate for Paul's 12V transformer box - not that they'd fit anyway!

Are these the ones you're talking about?

Google XLR2A11C

Yup.

On this occasion your google fu is well stonger than mine :D

And here something about the piano, its power supply, and that connector, including a link to somewhere that sells it, but is all too American, and twelve bucks for an XLR is just too much...

Archived