DMX lighting with computer

koens

Try looking at the the ChamSys MagicDMX Basic. It costs only £10, and gives you 5 hours of DMX from their free computer software, which has all the features of their £15,000 desks.

The only downside is that after 5 hours you have to close the software and plug the dongle in again, but it's not that bigger problem.

You can download the MagicQ PC software for free and have a look before you buy. It's great and simple to use and I would highly recommend it.

http://www.magicdmx.com/

Hello

I'm going to light a school theatrical show. Is it possible to create the whole lightshow in the computer and play it back.

Can anybody help me which program (hopely free) can be used for this?

thanx

Whilst it is certainly possible... Do not expect anything like "School of Rock" etc, where he magically plugs his PC in and gets a full blown lighting show.

A PC is not the best environment for programing a show. Surely if your school has lights, they have a lighting desk?

Also worth pointing out that you need to be sure that your school's lighting system will respond to DMX. Some older systems only work on analogue if this is the case then while Magic Q is amazing software it's not going to be of any use to you without a DMX to analogue converter.

Does the school not already have a control desk of some kind? If so, have a look where it plugs in to control the dimmers (This could be a point on the wall at the back of the hall, in the control room if you have one or on the dimmers themselves depending on how much money was spent on the installation). You're looking for a 3 or 5 pin XLR connector like these:

http://www.neutrik.com/client/neutrik/media/products/view/210_128591.jpg

BE CAREFUL WITH THIS ONE, IT'S USED PRIMARILY FOR AUDIO. YOU NEED TO BE SURE THAT THE CONNECTOR YOU'RE LOOKING AT IS CONNECTED TO THE DIMMERS!!!!!

http://www.neutrik.com/client/neutrik/media/products/view/210_171921.jpg

If you've got these type of connectors then you're in luck, if not then you're going to need more than just a computer and DMX output.

Hello

I'm going to light a school theatrical show. Is it possible to create the whole lightshow in the computer and play it back.

Can anybody help me which program (hopely free) can be used for this?

thanx

Although using pc is possible. It seems rather curious that a school should have a lighting rig but no desk. Id ask the teacher in charge of the theatre incase it is kept locked away (we all know how destructive the youth of today can be.) This is assuming of course that you are unaware of the school having one.

Most schools, when re-fitted, get a Zero 88 Jester or one of the Frog series desks which are simple and straight forward enough to to program and run shows with. This might be a simpler solution than buying software and spending tons of time learning it.

Aaron.

Archived