T26 lamps which one is best

gerry5992

I have some profiles and want to get them new lamps. I have been looking around and trying to figure out which is the best manufacturer to buy from.

The profiles are Strand Prelude 16/30 . Just after giving them a good clean and a polish so they are ready for new lamps.

Is the there any alternative lamps on the market that will give me maximum light output without causing harm to the units.

I am just looking for the best performance as I cannot afford to buy better units at the present..

The lamps are T26 650w

any suggestion gratefully appreciated

I don't think I've ever worried about this one - some people have favourite brands, but I've never been that concerned. I usually buy whatever I can get cheapest at the time I need them. In later years, I've simply just asked my favourite supplier for T26s.

One thing to watch is that some are 230, not 240 lamps - often from european suppliers. They're a little brighter but last less time. After buying batch of these to save a few quid, it was noticeable that we were replacing these before the older 240V ones failed.

There is nothing wrong with Preludes - I'd certainly rather have those in a rig than many others you see around. Apart from a few annoying features, like the power cable, they're perfectly useful lanterns.

Thanks for the help ..I thought there might be a difference in brightness of light output because there is a big difference in the price of lamps from sylviannia , phillips , osram, ge lighting etc and all the bulbs look slighty different in design . Just thought that there might be a prefered lamp because it might be a small bit brighter but if a lamp is 6.10 plus vat and does the same job well as a more expensive lamp all the better for me.

There may be a few different lamps intended for different uses that would all fit - if you compared the T26, CP89 and M40*:

the T26 is quoted 15k lumens with 400h lamp life

the CP89 is 16.5k lumens but just 150h lamp life

the M40 is 8.5k lumens but 1500h lamp life

The CP89 is a 'photography' class lamp, so I guess they want high output and aren't worried about lamp life, the M40 is a projection lamp, so I guess lamp life over absolute brightness, and the T26 is a 'theatre' class lamp, which I guess is a compromise.

We wondered about swapping some of our house lights over to M class lamps, as although the output is less, the increased bulb life would be worth it as they're difficult to get to over the seating.

*Note: the M40 wouldn't quite fit as the height of the filament is a bit off and wouldn't be in the middle of the reflector

Only slightly O/T but the photographic type lamps not only have a shorter life and higher output, but are also tightly controlled as regards colour temperature.

I think that the "P" class lamps are a fairly exact 3,200K whereas the "T" class lamps are about 3,000K.

For colour photography, open white is usuall and if if several lamps are used then they should all have the same colour temperature.

For theatre use, this matters less and a reasonable lamp life is more important.

I have seen places here just calling them T 26/27 Lamps.

So im assumeing nothing!

Hopefully im correct As I just bought 20 T 26/27 lamps for my CCT Minuette's. And thanks to you wonderful people I got them at a steal of only $10 per lamp from fleabay UK (Whilst everyone else in Oz want $35-$40 ea for them), so just fingers crossed that they survive their journey here!

The supplier may list them as T26/27 as they're interchangeable in many situations. What they actually send you will be one or the other. The difference is, as madorangepanda says, the design of the filament. One has the filament in a flat plane, the other is usaully a double layer which makes the light source more compact. One is supposed to be better for projecting gobos, probably the more compact one, but I've never worried about which I get as the difference is fairly small.

I have found that Philips lamps tend to last a little longer than Osram.

Also life span has an effect on light output,

Long life lamps tend to have 20 to 30 % less light output.

So there's a trade off.

There are many other brands of lamps available,

But the two main ones seem to be Philips or Osram.

Archived