what digital desk ??

tommynuker

I think I've just sold myself a Yammie DM1000!

Looks v good for live and also is a Production desk - I could also cascade a second when I can afford it! And the Studio Manager 2 Software it comes with is v useful too.

Anyone else used it?

If you need one quickly we have them in stock

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I've just sold myself a Yammie DM1000!

Looks v good for live and also is a Production desk - I could also cascade a second when I can afford it! And the Studio Manager 2 Software it comes with is v useful too.

Anyone else used it?

We have had two DM1000s have problems (out of 3) and AFAIR no problems with 01v96s (out of ~10) Personaly I can see no huge benifit over buying a DM1000 with its potential of 48ch 8 aux and 8 groups over the 01v96 with its 40ch 8 aux and 8 group, as for the price of a DM1000 you can buy two 01v96s cascade them together through the built in ADAT, and have an 80 ch mixer with 32 faders and 24 mic pre's before you have started. with change left over.

OK there are some other benifits to the DM1000 like touch sensitive faders as oposed to motion sensitive which might swing things in its favour if you are going to be doing lots of tracking on it but for live stuff you can get a lot of desk out of two 01v96s.

Just some thoughts.

James

Unfortunately, the 01V96's don't have mix automation for in the studio, which was one feature I was wanting.

As far as I am aware, this is. - Sound On Sound had this as one of their down poiints for the desks.

• 2 weeks later...
doesn't have direct outs though - so not great for multitrack recording unless the ADAT lightpipes are used.

Looks cool though.

from the owner's manual for the TT24: "Inserts 1-24. These 1/4" TRS connectors provide each channel with an analogue send and return point.....These connecterscan also be used as post gain control, unbalanced channel direct outputs.

so not ideal for location recording purposes if that's your priority, as it's still in the analogue world, but a useful ancillary feature perhaps.

Ah yes, I read that with vigor, Mr. Graham! - did you get a chance to see it at ROOTS? - was it in the main theatre venue or in Shocking? (I'm guessing the main theatre)

Wish I could afford one of 'em! I think he was gonna organise a training day for the PM5D which I want to go to. (need to get my hands on more than my Eurodesk).

Ah yes, I read that with vigor, Mr. Graham! - did you get a chance to see it at ROOTS? - was it in the main theatre venue or in Shocking? (I'm guessing the main theatre)

Wish I could afford one of 'em! I think he was gonna organise a training day for the PM5D which I want to go to. (need to get my hands on more than my Eurodesk).

yeah it was in the main venue, looked good - nice and simple without a load of outboard stuff getting in the way.

cheers,

Si

Hi Simon,

Well. When did you hear it? Fri/Sat/Sun or Mon?

Interesting Roots 2005. I took in a new FOH console, A new Line Array (not d&b!)... meanwhile Roots tried out a new artist in a new big top structure.

We all took some risks. For me it was all fresh and great fun, a really interesting journey.

I WILL do the training day. I am at Yamaha myself at the beginning of August developing a new course. I will let you know and we will run the first sessions on our PM5D at SF in September I think. Our board is currently in some london theatre on cross hire to Orbital.

The FOH system ... well I must admit that there is nothing like an old friend and I was in a new relationship. I will not tell you what I was using... you can look at the pictures and work it out.

The band sound I was not sooo comfortable with untill Sunday (by this time I learnt some system EQ lessons and started to get my head around Yamaha PM5D compressors... and to be honest, the muso's began to "find their way" also)........ BUT one thing was undeniable about this system was the projection into the venue on lav mics.... I used no delay fills remember, they stayed on the truck.

So what can I say?...... was it "the best I have heard me mix"? Dunno Simon.

The musicians lined up to thank myself and Colin (monitors) for the best live sound experience of 2005.... I find that the more I work, the less my opinion counts!

Back to the PM5D... when the training happens, blue room people come for free ok?

Regards

Mark

yeah it was in the main venue, looked good - not the best I've heard him mix but I think that may be more t do with the FOH rather than the desk or his efforts

cheers,

Si

Hi Simon,

Interesting Roots 2005. I took in a new FOH console, A new Line Array (not d&b!)... meanwhile Roots tried out a new artist in a new big top structure.

On reflection Mark, that was probably a poor statement from me, if I was in the venue for the whole duration then I would be in a better position to comment.

I was in there a few times over the weekend. perhaps I should rephrase my comments to say that I noticed that the FOH wasn't d&b which I know you usually use.

I'll remove my previous comments.

Hope I haven't caused offense, that was not my intention.

Si,

No offense Simon!

Just an internal smile ;-)

Love

Mark

Hi Simon,

On reflection Mark, that was probably a poor statement from me, if I was in the venue for the whole duration then I would be in a better position to comment.

I was in there a few times over the weekend. perhaps I should rephrase my comments to say that I noticed that the FOH wasn't d&b which I know you usually use.

Si,

Well thats good then!

What do I know anyway!

Speak to you soon

Simon,

No offense Simon!

Just an internal smile ;-)

Love

Mark

Hi Simon,

Si,

• 6 months later...
Hmm true. I also just noticed it's also kind of lacking in metering (I knew there was *something* missing :blink:), although it does have signal/clip lights.

If they slapped some direct outs on and 7-segment LED meters on each channel, it'd be a killer desk.

Just press the meter button! The V-Pots display then become meters on all 24 channels. Press & hold the meter button and they change to show gain reduction (from gates & comps). There is also a lot of metering available on a laptop if you choose to use one.

Archived