Projection Help

Benj

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the cd drive we are using we tried filling the hole but the drive tried to read the so-called CD (was actualy blaktak), decided it couldnt and chucked it out again.

To solve it we attached a piece of card and lots oc blaktak to the front of the drawer and left the inside as normal.

This might just be because it is an old cd drive but its something to watch out for.

Nick

Or better yet, an old CD?

IIRC, most CD's are slightly transparent - so you might get a little bit of spill, or even grooview, a bit of an interference pattern :)

I think we established that, thanks to the hole in the middle it'd need something else on the CD. Oh and the word is translucent. ;)

[/defensive]

Hi, wen I have done work at the northcott, wen ever they have used a projector they have always had a little box on top nicknamed the 'Lolly pop' because of the shape of the little 'baton' which would swing down & block the lense, it was basically just a circuit board, servo & a slider on a length of wire, im not sure if it was from SLX of made by them, as some of their LX crew are from SLX. or you could get an old remote controlled plane, take the servo & the reciver & on the controller you could use the throttel as the channel as this 'sticks' & doesnt return to ther centre when you let go. Might work.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

It has now been refined, the problem was when the CD was lifted from the tray to spin over long periods of time it would heat up and the CD would then not go to into its closed position (blackout position). So we removed the laser (very easy) and this now means you can put what ever you want in the tray and it is a lot lighter :)

• 1 year later...

Why not hire a video switcher? We have a Kramer unit in our rig that has various in's/out's on the back, and each has it's own button on the front.

If an input is selected, it can have one of three modes:

Blackout

Play

Freeze

I usually get the video output going before a show (perhaps in pause mode if a DVD) and then simply hit the input button enough times to get it to blackout. Then it's a case of pressing play and hitting the relevant input button to get the video on the screen.

The only reason I use this method is because a) we have the kit and b) although our projector has the capability to set it's background colour when no input is detected, it merrily ignores it and gives us blue anyway!!

Why not hire a video switcher?
You've completely missed the point.

A projector's idea of 'Black' isn't actually - you can still see the rectangle in a blackout. That's the issue.

You've completely missed the point.

Fair do's - nice to see someone calling a spade a spade!

...the problem is the blue screen...

I must have missed the point where the OP stated the problem was with the black not being black. This is however mentioned by Nickb12345, who cited this as a problem with using a projector in a different show. I've missed A point for sure... but not the one(s) referred in the original post.

My previous suggestion was posted in light of the OP's original reference to adding "black" lengths to the video source - thus suggesting that video blackout could have been sufficient if a technological means were to be available...

C :mods:

When I last saw We will rock you, a technician came up to the dress circle projector in the interval and turned the projector on or off, not sure which, not close enough so even in the pro circuit they still rely on old technolgy! :g:

Archived