Things that glow under UV

TomHoward

Evening all

I've been asked by some of the kids organising a school disco if it is possible to do a 'UV disco'. We'll have to hire in some tubes or cannons, but I've suggested that in order to make the UV effect worthwhile, I've suggested they look at decorating the room with some stuff that lights up under UV - paper steamers made out of paper that takes UV, perhaps some UV face paint if there's anything safe.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for things to use to decorate the room, treating paper/ cloths to light up under UV or how to tell what kind of stuff might glow? I think I may have to find a source and try it out

A big white cyc glows quite nicely when theres a UV cannon pointing at it. Doesn't work quite so well when its on constantly during a show however!

Search for "UV" on http://www.terralec.co.uk/ and there are various UV based things / ink / bubbles / varnish etc... There are most likely other sites which are cheaper, but thats the first one which popped to mind when I saw "UV stuff".

The smaller blacklight flourescent lamps are very cheap, might be worth buying one before the event for trials of any proposed materials.

If the room is fitted with flourescent lamps, it might be easier to insert blacklight lamps in these, rather than buying or hiring.

heres a site that is quite good for uv stuff [Linky] one thing that does give a nice effect is that of the the uv blubble solution that you can put in a bubble maker, another possible thing would be getting some UV reactive paper and with that im sure the kids organising the disco could make some good shapes and things that could be hung to give a neat effect also you could go down the uv facepaint/bodypaints that look realy good even if done badly!

Interesting idea about changing the lamps - I think they are ES base CFLs at the moment, as they are in globe fixtures. I'll check what they are but unfortunately they aren't flouro tubes.

You can get blacklight CFLs with standard ES or BC caps to go in standard fittings. You may have to remove the globe or shade since most common types of glass or plastic attenuate the UV.

I know a guy with a load of UV deco, probably not all of it terribly appropriate for a school (he lacks a website, but quite a lot of it is visible here: http://www.dontstayin.com/uk/birmingham/the-rainbow-warehouse/2008/mar/29/photo-9063406/chat/k-2545985) I'd be very willing to be the two of you in touch. Your other option is UV reactive paint onto cloth of course, for things that look completely different in uv.

Archived