Lighting a set with a roof

matthew3000

I was one of the Production Electricians for TRB's West End transfer of 'Private Lives' designed by Rob Howell, lit by David Howe that also incorporated a full ceiling piece with the exception of a scroll cut-out. David had put a crawl truss above this with a bunch of Source 4 profiles and 2kW Fresnels above this scroll to give him some backlight. Side light was via a 2.5kW HMI Fresnel backing a window on SR. Maybe the suggestion of a suitable cut-out (a cross maybe) could be made to the Set Designer?

Hugh Vanstone proved without a shadow of a boubt that it can be done. As Ken says, work with the set designer, think laterally and you'll get there! Good luck.

Indeed; I was Prod LX for "Misery" in the Criterion years ago and Patrick Connellan & Tim Mitchell did the same kind of thing. I might be able to get hold of some pics if the OP is interested.

OP: are you receiving us?

KC

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

It is based in a church hall, so I don't think the skylight is going to look right although a brilliant idea. I shall speak to him about getting a practical ceiling fixture as this will hopefully allow at least some light and should give it more atmosphere. I will also be having a chat with the designer about the possibility of hiding some birdies in the set somewhere, thanks for that suggestion.

I think it will be slightly trial and error once the set is up, I was thinking of putting some lights just inside the pros arch pointed at the ceiling and bouncing the light off to hopefully light under the roof. Not sure if this will work successfully though.

Thanks again for the replies,

Matt.

Hugh Vanstone proved without a shadow of a boubt that it can be done. As Ken says, work with the set designer, think laterally and you'll get there! Good luck.

Indeed; I was Prod LX for "Misery" in the Criterion years ago and Patrick Connellan & Tim Mitchell did the same kind of thing. I might be able to get hold of some pics if the OP is interested.

OP: are you receiving us?

KC

Some pictures would be brilliant to look at! Thanks.

I had to light a moving caravan with a roof back in January, ended up doing it with a pair of source fours from low FOH boom positions crossing over, and a 2K profile on the furthest back bridge. Wasn't ideal but at least you could see the actors, but it was a bugger when the crew didn't put the caravan quite on it's marks and loads of light spilled over onto the cyc!

I had to light a moving caravan with a roof back in January, ended up doing it with a pair of source fours from low FOH boom positions crossing over, and a 2K profile on the furthest back bridge. Wasn't ideal but at least you could see the actors, but it was a bugger when the crew didn't put the caravan quite on it's marks and loads of light spilled over onto the cyc!

Sounds like I'm lucky with a static set then!!

• 2 months later...

Dear All

The moment has passed, but for future reference this is a picture of "Misery" - and one solution to the roof issue. It's a scanned 20 year old picture so the quality is not great. A roof beam that masks a roof truss is just visible top centre.:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f184/kclx1/MISERY.jpg

Sorry for the delay!!!

KC

Archived