Electromagnetic stage base?

howartp

Could you use a key clamp solution. They make a 'ground socket' which secures with a set screw and is flush with the surface. When not in use you could drop a filler in. Something with scaff legs wouldn't cause much damage to a floor when out compared to a spike

Hi Tris,

That sounds a great idea, and it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility to have a set of keyclamp sockets mounted elsewhere (either on the floor or hung from the wall) for the rails to be stored in when not in use, thus solving both halves of the issue at once.

Cheers!

Peter

The church I'm most involved in has removal communion rails and the uprights for them are simple metal box section, with holes probably about 1"x1" which they slot into. As others have mentioned there are fillers for the holes for when the rails aren't in use. I can imagine there being problems with using scaff for communion rails but this box section is fairly subtle. I'll try to find some photos for you, but most of mine were taken during big events when they weren't in place.

The only picture I can find is of the hand rail for the stairs up to the stage - which is made in exactly the same way. Image

Edit: SPAG, and adding pic link

The church I'm most involved in has removal communion rails and the uprights for them are simple metal box section, with holes probably about 1"x1" which they slot into. As others have mentioned there are fillers for the holes for when the rails aren't in use. I can imagine there being problems with using scaff for communion rails but this box section is fairly subtle. I'll try to find some photos for you, but most of mine were taken during big events when they weren't in place.

The only picture I can find is of the hand rail for the stairs up to the stage - which is made in exactly the same way. Image

Edit: SPAG, and adding pic link

Thanks for that.

I wasn't intending using scaffold for the main legs, but short scaffold-style bars attached to the underside of the base of a communion rail (Image of a similar-style rail to ours) which then sit into the floor wouldn't be seen but would work well.

I think from your photo/text, you are implying that the upright bars remain in place permanently, with the rails only attached at certain times? I can't see us leaving such bars in permanently; they would be attached to, or removed with, the rails.

Peter

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well.

No the uprights don't stay in permanently. They are attached to the wooden horizontals ( so the final thing looks kind of like a 'n') and lift out with them. This leaves just the small hole in the floor which they slotted into. There is then a little plate which can be put into the hole to stop anything falling down it (although these plates do seem to be irresistable toys to some of the children). The rails shown in the photo are there full time, as they stop people falling off the edge of the stage , and give a hand rail to climb the stairs with if needed by some of the older members of the church). Sorry the photo doesn't show it at all well, unsurprisingly the person who took it wasn't focusing on how the rails fit in! Unfortunately I'm at uni, not my parents, which is where the church is otherwise I'd take a couple of new photos for you.

Yes I see what you mean about how the scaff would work - your communion rail is a fair bit more substantial than I was imagining.

Hopefully that's clearer, although my brain seems to have shut down for the bank holiday weekend.

Sorry the photo doesn't show it at all well, unsurprisingly the person who took it wasn't focusing on how the rails fit in!

Hopefully that's clearer, although my brain seems to have shut down for the bank holiday weekend.

Hehe, shame on them - don't they realise we're having a serious conversation about rails here and all they're bothered about is photographing the worship - how inconsiderate... ;):)

That's fine - now you've re-explained it I do know the type of rail you are referring to - one of our other churches has them in place.

I will bear both methods in mind for later on in the project - I just needed to have an idea of how we could approach it in case I needed to tweak the base plans which are going to Church Council for approval to proceed next week.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Whilst I was at Steeldeck, I came up with a device specifically for this problem (well, orchestra pit rails, mostly....) which we called Wedgelock. It's now gone into a fair number of new and refurbushed theatres, and it may be what you need - here's the explanetory video.

p.s. I'm not on a commission.... :(

A couple of years ago Starlight Express came to our nearest large theatre, the Bradford Alhambra. This was done on roller skates, and the majority of the skate ramps etc were rolled on from the wings then clamped down in seconds - I'm pretty sure this was done with electromagnets? (Either a huge metal floor, then electromagnets on the ramps, or huge electromagentic floor with metal on the clamps?)

Sorry to go back to the original topic, but this was most likely achieved with air castors, and a very heavy truck.

Hi Peter,

Whilst I was at Steeldeck, I came up with a device specifically for this problem (well, orchestra pit rails, mostly....) which we called Wedgelock. It's now gone into a fair number of new and refurbushed theatres, and it may be what you need - here's the explanetory video.

p.s. I'm not on a commission.... :(

Cheers Giles - they look fantastic!

I think they've gone to the top of my list for the time being, but costings of the whole sitation will affect it when we get that far later on.

Cheers,

Peter

A couple of years ago Starlight Express came to our nearest large theatre, the Bradford Alhambra. This was done on roller skates, and the majority of the skate ramps etc were rolled on from the wings then clamped down in seconds - I'm pretty sure this was done with electromagnets? (Either a huge metal floor, then electromagnets on the ramps, or huge electromagentic floor with metal on the clamps?)

Sorry to go back to the original topic, but this was most likely achieved with air castors, and a very heavy truck.

Yep, that looks likely - they were certainly large enough to hold the air source within them.

Peter

Archived