MagicQ User co-operative

paulears

This scheme would maybe have a big effect on us. We're looking at moving from a Pearl to Chamsys thanks to the amount of media content we use. Our hire firm have one Chamsys setup, but that isn't guaranteed to be available all the time for us. We'd looked at buying but for the sake of a few shows per year, couldn't justify it. If there was an opportunity to hire it out, it may be a viable move.

C

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've made a few enquiries about insurance, but the usual firms don't seem to have anything for this - however,they've suggested a few others - which I'll have a look at.

Could people who might like to make their equipment available send me a pm with a postcode and what they have, and I'll start to build a map. I'll keep for the moment the owners details private, just indicate where we have kit.

Some people have more than one item, so we need to just sort out what we all have. Plenty of people have been in touch, and as one said - if we can make a few quid out of our investment when we're not using it - why not!

EDIT

I suspect we also need to also make a note of who is VAT registered? We should work out a way to indicate if the price included VAT or not. So how do we do it? If we want a common price - the VAT registered people would appear to be more expensive - any ideas?

Just to show the range we have at the moment, we have people with this equipment

MQ100 pro console

Playback wing

Extra Wing

Maxi Wing

PC Wing

So we're probably going to have almost the entire Chamsys product range!

PM Sent,

Also, for Vat, the two options I suppose are to either make all final costs the same or to make all owner rates the same and just +vat where appropriate, I'm not too fussed either way as I'm not vat registered.

As for insurance, would there be some form of end of year contribution to a kitty for insurance? E.G. the website keeps track of the value of hires we've had and then tells us how much we have to pay at the end of each year.

Josh

A comment on the 'pooled' insurance idea.

I can't see this working; insurers are very unlikely to issue a policy to an unspecified group of people, some individual and some 'body corporate'.

I would be happy to hire my setup out (although insurance is something I would have to look into)

I have a pc wing built into a flightcase with an all in one PC/Touchscreen monitor + a second touch screen monitor and a keyboard with programmable macro buttons to replicate some buttons missing from the standard pc wing. Can provide pictures. PM me if interested. Has 3 physical universes + artnet out.

Mark

I've been trying out a few ideas for the website - and you can access a test version of it here. I have left the index page not auto redirecting for the moment, so you might find it goes to a random page at some point. I put in the info I had at the time, but more people have added info since I started, so I'll put that in at some point.

At the moment, until it's publically live, I have only left my email address visible - I 'll do this for others once people are happy.

Money wise - I think people have to sort insurance themselves - we have no way of telling which areas of the country will do the most business - and as many of us use our kit anyway - we may have to pass enquiries on? I may have a lead on an insurance company - just waiting for a reply.

Feel free to comment for and against the site contents. I may have taken on a bit more than I have time for - we'll see.

Paul

Price wise - using the usual formula to work out hire rates, we would seem to be looking at these kinds of figures - what do people think (from the point of supplier and user)

--------------cost-p/wk-inc vat

MQ100 pro-----9800--490----588

playback wing-2500--125----150

mini wing-----650----32.50--39

pc wing-------1400---70-----84

maxi wing-----2900--145----174

extra wing----1400---70-----84

I've not got much further than this - but I see no problem with discussing it here - it's how most hire charges are worked out, plus/minus amounts for 'fiddle factor' and what the market will stand. So a PC wing, which is very popular, works out at £84 a week for people who can't reclaim VAT. To me that seems quite reasonable. The MQ100 might be a little low?

Comments please.

We have a MQ100 Pro2010 & Execute Wing.... it is also available for hire.

In Australia, we are lead to believe this is the only full kit....

Prices slightly vary - as of the smaller market.

But always willing to work with whatever the gig requires.

I don't have any problem with the Difference between no-vat and vat going to the BR. Especially if the hardware owners don't have to pay anything for the service.

Anybody thought about a slight discount for other co-operative members?

Josh

Hi Matt, welcome to the Blue Room - I tried to find Australia on my map, but I think it's somewhere just below the Isle of Wight, and off the bottom.

Mind you, if search engines find this, then there's no reason to not stick you on the list - So I will.

Although it's only on test - could those who have their details there just confirm they're happy for me to insert the email addresses - I don't want to do this without your ok?

Totally agree as finding hardware to hire can be a problem at times and might encourage me to buy a desk as well!

Incidently those prices seem way too steep - round this way I can hire a Pearl Expert for list price £175 + VAT per week. So why would I pay this for a maxi wing?

It was suggested to me by Tony at Chamsys that if I bought a MQ100 pro I would be able to get £250 + vat a week hire.

Perhaps prices are best negotiated individually!

price wise - I checked a few popular desks, and the prices seemed to fit. However - an Expert is around the same price - so £250+VAT seems comparable. I think we need to get the ballpark figures right, because if somebody approaches an owner for a hire and they can';t do it, then the others with the same thing need to be at least, similar. Individual negotiations are obviously important - but a base price that allows everyone to have a ballpark figure is important.

Josh - spot on. Shows my geography is rubbish. I'll change it.

P

Current map looks like this

http://www.shure-dealersite.com/wpimages/wp88468bcf_05.jpg

Is it me or would "hired from us, from a source local to you." make more sense as "hired through us, from a source local to you."

Nitpicking... sorry :)

Done - not at all a problem, open to any 'tinkering' - Paul

Been following this topic with great interest - sounds like a good idea. Currently a customer, but if the co-operative takes off, it may persuade me to become an owner!

Just a small point. When I need to, I hire a PC wing from Enlightened Lighting in Bath (price list here), and for reference their MQ100 pro is at £280 pw ex vat, and their PC wing is at £60 pw ex Vat. Courier costs from them are around £10 to drop of an £25 to pick up to me in Worcester. (Although the last quote I have from them is a year old, so prices may have gone up since then.)

From My point of view it would make sense to find a source closer to me, and save the money on couriers, which I would have to spend hiring from enlightened. Just checked one of my quotes from them, and if the co-operative deal came in less than £100 - including delivery and collection (be it under my own steam), then I'd be happy. (not wishing to take trade away from Enlightened, as they are a nice company to deal with, and have done me favours in the past.)

Another observation, it would probably be worth doing a weekend rate too, as I know that on jobs I would use MagicQ for, tend to be one night over a weekend, so delivery would be friday, and returns would be monday.

Neil

EDIT: to add, Brilliant work on the site, and indeed the group so far Paul, if it pays off it should work well! Many thanks.

Archived