MagicQ User co-operative

paulears

I'm slightly confused by the complication of a database - I can't really see the point. Essentially the data would need to be typed in once. I can't really see people needing to sort it. Click on the map for people local to you (or at least in that county) and if there isn't anyone, go back to the map and go out a little - or look at the full list. I certainly don't want complication and public access to generate security issues. The info is in a table already - but seems to work. The problem with adding and extra column is purely space - I either need to shrink the font a little, or widen the page - and that's the snag - just a time issue as the page count is fairly high.

I'm generally of the opinion that if you've got data, a database is the way to store it. The content is pretty much perfect for a database, one table for product descriptions, one table for people, one for the the products people have. For the chart, have a look here. Google charts API is a fantastic tool for generating graphs and maps, but can also do QR and a few other useful things. In this case, I'd probably say that a database isn't really needed, but having one can do wonders for future expansion and adding new features, especially filters and sorts.

Not trying to say that what you've done is wrong, just not the way I'd do it ;)

Tim

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just a reminder to those with wings to hire out:

make sure the wings you send out have a cd, or flash drive with the drivers on. getting to a job with no wifi and no disk to install the drivers would be a right pain in the backside.

Whilst this is a good idea it's worth noting that the drivers for the wings are contained within the install of Magic Q PC, so if you have it installed you have the drivers.

There's a folder called MagicQ Wing Drivers in the installation directory of Magic Q.

I'm generally of the opinion that if you've got data, a database is the way to store it. The content is pretty much perfect for a database, one table for product descriptions, one table for people, one for the the products people have. For the chart, have a look here. Google charts API is a fantastic tool for generating graphs and maps, but can also do QR and a few other useful things. In this case, I'd probably say that a database isn't really needed, but having one can do wonders for future expansion and adding new features, especially filters and sorts.

Not trying to say that what you've done is wrong, just not the way I'd do it ;)

Tim

That's fine Tim, I've had some interesting chats with Tom about Google Fusion, but I'm just not database savvy enough to manage it - I looked at all the code on the Google link and it may as well be in Swahili! I appreciate the benefits of a database, but managing it is something I'd have to learn, and I don't have the time (or desire really) to have to learn how to do it!

Once it's stabilised, I can cope with the odd new member or change of equipment or other items quite simply.

Hi Paul,

Im happy to add our Magic Q items to the list in the northwest. We have an MQ100 Pro and a Maxiwing system with built in PC unit. I think we would need to look at the wing systems as with a PC in our case (perhaps this could be another item on the list) as its cased together and I personally would not want to split this for one hire.

Chris

dBS Solutions

just a reminder to those with wings to hire out:

make sure the wings you send out have a cd, or flash drive with the drivers on. getting to a job with no wifi and no disk to install the drivers would be a right pain in the backside.

Whilst this is a good idea it's worth noting that the drivers for the wings are contained within the install of Magic Q PC, so if you have it installed you have the drivers.

There's a folder called MagicQ Wing Drivers in the installation directory of Magic Q.

I had an issue with an older version of the software with the pc wing where the driver was somehow incorrect, and the wing dropped a few of it's functions.

My presence on the list seems to have occasioned a red splodge over the whole of north and mid Wales and Cheshire - so you might as well 'colour in' the Wirral and Merseyside too, as they're closer to me, and easier to get to, than most of the bits of Wales that I've turned red!

Another notch on the map.

If anyone has any suggestions for insurance companies, I'd like to hear - only a few even bother to reply, and those that do just say no. Has anyone got an insurance company who really do cover hire electronics? Can't even get daft quotes - none, whatsoever so far!

• 5 weeks later...

I've discovered why insurance is tricky to get. We don't need insurance all year - as in a proper policy, so looking for cover for a few hires a year is what we're after. However - the insurance companies view this as something called "selection against the insurer" - as in you want it covered at the point it's most at risk - rather than in store, or being used by yourself. Therefore they treat this as they won't be able to collect enough premiums to offset potential claims. They also view 'pay-as-you-go' schemes where cover only exists for short periods as open to fraud - which for the premiums collected is very expensive to prove or disprove - so not worth doing.

This does explain why such a simple request got such negative results. So hire to those who can be trusted, seems to be the rule.

Archived