Waterproof alternative to PAR-16 "birdies"

Meduza

J Pearce: and how would you solve the small problem with charging a few hundred batteries every night?

Hydrus: Wouldnt that type in these numbers add upp to quite large amounts of money?

At 9975 USD for 500 led pinspots needed (listprice) they would probably be 1.5 to 1.8 times more expensive then birdies, but think about the savings in cables and power.

I won't make the calculations in your place but I would definitly make my homework if I was you

At 9975 USD for 500 led pinspots needed (listprice) they would probably be 1.5 to 1.8 times more expensive then birdies, but think about the savings in cables and power.

I won't make the calculations in your place but I would definitly make my homework if I was you

The LED pin spots linked above are only 5W, they will be very dim compared to a halogen birdie.

I'd have two sets of batteries and flip flop them, charging using large car battery chargers with a quantity batteries in parallel on each charger.

It relies on labour but that should be easy to come by for such events.

Charging multiple batteries in parallel off one charger can be dangerous, and should not be done unless all the batteries are identical in terms of age, condition, and state of charge. If you wire two or more mis-matched batteries in parallel then there will be current flow from whichever battery has the highest voltage. In extreme cases this can be 100A or more.

Sorry I should have added a disclaimer to that effect on my post. I'll hold my hands up and acknowledge that was irresponsible.

My basic calculations were based on using smallish leisure style batteries, rather than car batteries with a high 'cold crank capacity', all brand new with matching loads run for the same period of time.

Perhaps not the same effect, but they just used lots of festoon in 2007; cabling/splitting is built in, vertical scaff tube every x metres supporting them IIRC and a generator feeding a string in each direction or something.

Aside from the potential fire risk, is refueling all those hurricane lamps not going to be a huge pain/faff.

Prehaps its a little late in this topic, but how long are your "tracks" and what sort of ground do they cover? Are we talking about open field, woodland, or a combination of the two?

Ultimately what's the effect you're after?

Would a background of colour, using fewer, but more powerful fittings work? Rather than hurricane lamps could you adapt the old idea of tea lights in sand filled paper bags to use small LEDs rather than the candle?

I know hurricane lamps and and tea lights wouldn't make it through my risk assesment.

Ok, whats the purpose of the tracks, and what is the primary purpose of the lighting? (effect or simply to see by)

I think your best bet at present is to get a couple of regular birdies and go and try this effect in some woods before you buy anything else. If you haven't got a reliable source of power use 12V birdies and a car battery. I suspect that your quantities are on the low side depending on the look you are after.

I'll second the notion that 1000 kerosene lanterns are going to be a pain in the behind, imagine trying to manage the wicks on that many lanterns, thats before you have to fuel and light them all each day. Then go round and blow them all out! Equally scrap my earlier suggestion.

Archived