AVCHD converter for school editing

tomo2607

I may be totally wrong here, so may stand corrected, but isn't the rendering /editing time affected by the camera's recording of colour information.

Footage from a camera that records with 2:1:1 colour information, will take longer to render / edit than a camera that records at say 4:2:2.

If true, then this would make the software less critical than the camera choice, especially if a single camera is required vs multiple software licences.

Couldn't find any info on the NEX VG10e that specified colour recording information.

Why are we making this more complicated that we need to? He has Macs, he's considering a version of FCP that is happy with AVCHD (as most current editors are - as it's very common). The camera comes with software that will do basic editing too.

Editing HD is never quick. Rendering is simply a fact of life when editing HD. Using Adobe, as I do, you can load a project to do a tiny edit - like adding a small ID mark - lasting 5 seconds, and then discover because of the way the project is put together, it took 40 mins to render when you hit play! Just one of those things. Sometimes people like to convert their AVCHD to a more editor friendly format so their computer has to work less hard - but this conversion still takes time - but obviously only once. However, you normally need to convert ALL the footage. If you work with the native AVCHD file, then you're only rendering the clips that are in use - not the entire thing, which has a time implication. I'm not sure which technique really saves the most time - but time is NOT your friend when editing in HD on PC or Mac. Only the individual can determine if saving ten minutes in the edit is better than saving ten minutes converting the data first. Getting a workflow that works for you is really important in HD. In SD, I'd load up everything - but in HD I'm more selective. When you start doing multicam HD, with loads of nested sequences - deciding when to hit the 'render work area' is a bit of a gamble. You think about what you've done since the last one and assume it will be seconds, yet didn't remember you tried shifting on long shot a few frames, and then went back - and this was in one of the layered sections - meaning you may as well go to bed and carry on in the morning!

HD mean SLOW. If it's quicker than that, you won!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived