Fundraising

lightbulb789

Here's two of our main annual fund-raisers for school.

On the last day before the Christmas holiday we run a concert. It consists entirely of acts the kids put together and is a combination of sketches (with the usual staff impressions), bands and dance. We run two concerts and get the whole school in at £1 a time. £1000 sorted. The kids look forward to it and I'm nearly booked up for 2005's concert. Those that don't pay don't go and have to work (hard) with the grumpy teachers who don't want to go to the concert. We started with two domestic floods and a HH MA100 PA and built it up.

In November we do a thing we call First Bow. Small teams of 6th form organise small groups of Y7 & Y8 students in 3 one act plays. We get casts of thousands who bring parents, siblings, grannies, etc and we run two sell out nights. Low budget, simple sets, lights on/off, sound reinforcement and that's it. Another £1000 no problem.

School play sometimes makes money sometimes doesn't but we budget to break even.

These two events keep us going although we got a start from our PA who are very supportive.

May not help but it works for us.

Do you have a 'community supermarket' or anything like that near you - a lot of them do community rewards schemes (maybe that is an aussy thing).

Our school holds an anual tallent/performace/thing with acts put on by the school - we got in another company to do EVERYTHING the first time. AU$5 for a student, AU$10 for an adult, AU$20 for a family. 5 shows - two for all the local 'feeder' primary schools (the school was rural, so 99% of the students in each of the feeder schools went to our secondary) with a discounted entry (IIRC AU$1 ea), then three for the community. Each one seated 600 people, and each was filled up. Not all of the money went to the dram department unfortuantly - in fact more seemed to go to the social studies department and library. We did get enough to buy some portable staging and some to add to my equiptment budget. So the next year we hired less stuff, did the same thing. The third, which was in my final year there, we did not need to hire anything in.

The other fundraisers I ran - BBQ's at the local supermarket, drama in the park (we did some skits in the middle of a park in melbourne - no lx or anything, just performace and a collection plate), Pie Day - we conned some teachers into participating - tying them to chairs and selling cream pies.

when up t'north like, I abseiled off the Centre For Life in newcastle for cancer research... I think I pledged £30 quid of my own money and then there was a minimum target of around £100 (bearing in mind that was set by the charity).... I think I've got it right, user 'Helen' on here probably remembers more than I do.

At the end of the day I found it quite cheap in the sense that it cost me 30 notes and everything made after that was given to the charity.

Do you have a 'community supermarket' or anything like that near you - a lot of them do community rewards schemes (maybe that is an aussy thing).

Our school holds an anual tallent/performace/thing with acts put on by the school - we got in another company to do EVERYTHING the first time. AU$5 for a student, AU$10 for an adult, AU$20 for a family. 5 shows - two for all the local 'feeder' primary schools (the school was rural, so 99% of the students in each of the feeder schools went to our secondary) with a discounted entry (IIRC AU$1 ea), then three for the community. Each one seated 600 people, and each was filled up. Not all of the money went to the dram department unfortuantly - in fact more seemed to go to the social studies department and library. We did get enough to buy some portable staging and some to add to my equiptment budget. So the next year we hired less stuff, did the same thing. The third, which was in my final year there, we did not need to hire anything in.

The other fundraisers I ran - BBQ's at the local supermarket, drama in the park (we did some skits in the middle of a park in melbourne - no lx or anything, just performace and a collection plate), Pie Day - we conned some teachers into participating - tying them to chairs and selling cream pies.

seems good but in britain most schools wont be allowed to do this, good idea thoough, I will try persuade the head at my school!!!

this might sound kiddy but if you are at a school you could do scool type fundraising stuff, cake sales and the sort!!!

It's not really that type of school. It's now been changed to a College, I don't see why everythings still the same as a school.

People have tryed Cake sales before here and all they have got is £10 sometimes less.

We've just held a show for 3 nights not sure how much we made yet but as soon as it goes into the schools (I mean 'College') bank we proberly won't see it again because it will go down to the Department not the Theatre.

I've tryed to request that we get put under the Department but they say no so all we get is about £40 a term so spend on equipment and we just spent out £112 on Bulbs so as soon as we get money we don't get time to touch it.

Anyway Thanks for the good ideas guys and girls its giving me some good thoughts

Adam

Do you have a really big show each year???

if so tell them to make it really spectacular you will need xxx pounds to make it happen, works if you are incharge of the technician side of things"""

We hold a 'Main' Production twice sometimes three times a year and smaller ones throughout the year but the money we get from that somehow disappears into the Creative Arts Department and all the money we use for the Productions comes from the Department so it is really limited as the Creative Arts Department is under Drama, Art and Music so we don't get left with much when it comes to a Show.

I think I would get quite upset if the school productions where making money at the box office and there were no funds for gear. I would do the math and have a quiet talk to the department head involved.

While it may not apply to this case, I have done several fundraising pantomimes during school holidays over the years. In Australia we do them with a 1 hour format and charge only a few dollars per head. The shows are held in the afternoon with no lighting, a home stereo for sound but good costumes. It is amazing how much fun kids have with a bit of slapstick, some funny costumes and a few songs they know.

I think I would get quite upset if the school productions where making money at the box office and there were no funds for gear. I would do the math and have a quiet talk to the department head involved.

While it may not apply to this case, I have done several fundraising pantomimes during school holidays over the years. In Australia we do them with a 1 hour format and charge only a few dollars per head. The shows are held in the afternoon with no lighting, a home stereo for sound but good costumes. It is amazing how much fun kids have with a bit of slapstick, some funny costumes and a few songs they know.

Sounds like school show I helped the local primary school with for 'community service' (my secondary schools idea, not a court sentence)... we used band risers for a stage and lighting was the flouro's, and sound was my stereo hooked into the schools PA ... I talked to the principal about where the profits would go and was disgusted at the licensing fees. It was a kids panto style show... IIRC they wanted $500 + $160 per performance or 8% of the takings (which ever was higher). After you took into account all the other costs, ie props, costumes etc... probably another hundred. The thing lost money.

Volunteered to help them the next year too, convinced them to do something that was in the public domain, and they made a clear profit...

Spose the moral is, if you want to use theatre as a fundraiser, then be REALLY careful with licensing.

Archived