Blackout

gleek96

I think smiffy (correct me if im wrong) was suggesting that a black out everytime the ghost appears is actually a unimaginative way of doing things.

is there nothing more imaginative that can be created?

perhaps "blinding the stage" with atomics or similar? or use whatever you have to your disposal (which to be fair can be very little in schools)

The use of smoke, and some clever use of Gels can create some very nice effects

I think the gauze idea is the best option. Its subtle and can reveal the ghost with no needed 'here we go again with the blackout/blinding option to reveal' routine.

Hire a hazer!

Smokey light beams coming in from different angles will be interesting.

Also, although you mostly have pars - keep it dim and shadowy. You could use something really subtle to highlight the ghost from behind the gauze like a birdy.

Using a small strobe audience facing on the other side of the stage can work. You flash the strobe, and the moth instinct makes everyone look at it. Meanwhile, the transformation has taken place...

Basically, it is a performance of 'The Woman In Black' so at various points, the woman needs to quickly get onto the stage and appear as if she is a ghost.

IIRC, having seen the professional production a couple of times, they don't use a blackout for exactly the reason Smiffy said.

In fact, unless I'm having a total memory failure, the pro production leaves house ever so slightly on, and its a lovely tiny white theatre that lights up with the stage lights anyway...

Be more imaginative. Blackouts ruin the pace and lose the audience's attention. We don't allow them at the school I work at.

Archived