Church installation - loudspeakers and amps

SimonTheSoundMan

I could buy 4 PS10's for the price of one K-array.

Last week I heard the tiny Sennheiser K-array Lyzards - and wonder if something like these would work?

http://www.proacousticsusa.com/Products/Frontsmall2010070963147.jpg

We were all very impressed, and they're so small that they'd be hardly noticeable.

Everything has come for Faculty application for DAC today. They want to know how much is to be spent, where cables will run and what fixtures will be required, and a long questionnaire. I think Worcester want me to be the advisor for the DAC as well.

Visiting SSE this week to get all equipment, cables and fixtures sorted.

The church had an acoustic report written two years ago which I just got my hands on. I had a quick glance earlier and the acoustics are better than a I thought. I'll do my own testing in the next few weeks. The RT60, C50, RASTI etc were all good and is fine just to have two direct radiating loudspeakers in the main part of the nave. Best positions were also recommended (it does say a central cluster/line array is the best, but wouldn't pass Faculty), they are about 2m off from where I thought.

I'll do a subjective test on positioning. I'll try and borrow some PS10's and windup stands either from speaker poles or some trussing to hang from. If not I'll fly some Alpha or Alpha-e that I can get my hands on.

I am thinking of two horizontal wires to go across the church between the north and south walls and hang the loudspeakers from them, this would be an even better solution and something I'll ask SSE to see if it is easy to do. The loudspeakers would hen be away from the walls and hanging in free space, or hang from the beams in the roof, which might be more expensive because we'll have to build scaffold, or hire a genie boom or scissor lift. The church lighting used to hang like this, and have faulty to hang projector screens in such a way, so could install like this if it satisfies the DAC and if the surveyor thinks the walls are strong enough to have two 15kg loudspeakers pulling the wall inwards.

I may be reading more into this than you actually mean, but don't buy or order the equipment until you've actually got the faculty. It's not just a question of filling in a form to tell the DAC what you've decided to do - you have to apply for permission to carry out the work and this may be refused for all sorts of reasons - eg aesthetic or financial considerations quite apart from acoustic ones. In addition, unless your diocese is quite different from most, the granting of the faculty will take months rather than days or weeks and you would be very unwise to do any work or spend any money until you have a copy of the relevant bit of paper in your hands.

I may be reading more into this than you actually mean, but don't buy or order the equipment until you've actually got the faculty.

Yes you're reading in to a little too much. :)

I'm taking the vicar and maybe one of the church wardens for a demo of different equipment. SSE will be our supplier of all equipment and fixtures, next week we're going to come up with solutions and quotes. So first I can present it to the PCC who will have to vote for it, who will then file for Faculty. Yes, it will take a couple of months, PCC have to take it to the DAC, once they accept the application we have to give 28 days notice in church, if there are no objections the Chancellor or Archdeacon will pass the Faculty.

I can in the meantime build the new system. I doubt they say no to allowing a new system, the only part they may say no is to placement of the loudspeakers, installed cable runs and wall sockets (RCD mains and XLR sockets). As said previous, they wont care about what goes in to the racks (I'll put them in a 12u or 16u rack on wheels to start). I just wont be screwing anything to any walls until faculty has passed. I could get a running system between now and then with speakers on tripods.

Yes you're reading in to a little too much. :)

Ok - although you go on to say "I can in the meantime build the new system........" !

I'd still advise caution - I agree that it's unlikely that the whole scheme will be refused but you might find that for some reason the DAC do not like your suggested speakers, which might not be good news if you'd already bought them!

(I've been involved in the faculty process with a complete new church lighting scheme, a separate lighting scheme for the choir stalls and two new church notice boards and in each case the faculty has been granted without any problem, but in your position I'd still wait until the outcome of the application was known before spending any money)

• 2 weeks later...

It's all coming along well.

Trying to figure out of zone system. Either a BSS Soundweb 9088 or an Australian Monitor ZRM4.

Architect visited last week and is happy, Arch Deacon also informed and up-to-date and my plans should be fine for a faculty. Faculty will be submitted this week. Got to get passed DAC first though.

Around £3,200 the system is currently.

Nexo PS10 x2

Nexo PS10 TD Controller

LabGruppen 2000c 2x

Australian Monitor Install 50 x2

Australian Monitor 1202P amp

18u Euromet rack w/ plexiglass panel

Shure SCM810E x2

Klark Teknik DN360

RCF UP4000

Philips install speaker

LD Systems 102 Active DI Box x2

Sony CD Player

All cables, cutputs, panel mounts etc included.

You can't hang speakers from horizontal wires, the laws of physics make it impossible. This is why bridles have to hang at a certain angle, because the more horizontal they become, the greater the strain in the wire.

You can't hang speakers from horizontal wires, the laws of physics make it impossible. This is why bridles have to hang at a certain angle, because the more horizontal they become, the greater the strain in the wire.

Yes, you're right. Architect would only allow for them to be wall mounted.

Archived