laptop sound to PA

IA76

But a question for the more computer-savvy... any idea why it works perfectly on a Windows 7 laptop, but doesn't want to know when hooked up to a Macbook Pro (have tried several different, recent MBPs with OS higher than the minimum they specify (9.04)? The LED illuminates, so it is powering up, but no audio.:(

You'll probably find it's down to the computer selecting the default playback device. On Windows machines, it probably (although being Microsoft, nothing is reliable enough to say "always" http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif ), selects the most recently connected sound playback device. On a Mac, it's less "idiot-orientated" and is probably happy just sticking with the same one as it always uses. (I know this would suggest that the Macbook's speakers would play the music, but it might be in a "limbo" mode, where it doesn't know where to play it.)

Make sure the playback device is set as the external card, both in the system configuration, and in the program you are using to play the music.

I have a USB soundcard with optical (TOSlink) input and output, which I use for recording to MiniDisc. When I first plugged it in, it wouldn't play, so I had to set it as the default playback device first. Quite often if I unplugged it, Windows would revert back to the onboard sound card being the default device, and not change back when I plugged it back in again! ...Not every time though!

Also, check the manufacturer's website for updated software and drivers for Mac. As for the Windows computer, do NOT let Microsoft Update install updated drivers for it! It's a very common problem with sound cards (especially Realtek, Conexant, and Analog Devices chips) where Microsoft Update installs drivers which don't work at all, sometimes resulting in a constant cycle of BSODs! The same problem also applies to Ralink and Atheros Wi-Fi cards, whereby they just don't find any network, or they find the network but can't connect to it! http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/mur.gif

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does that interface power via the USB link?

If so, on another forum I visit (related to studio recording rather than live) there was recently a discussion of some Macs being at the bottom end of the spec for voltage and current. The USB spec is 5 volts (within a range of 4.75-5.25 volts) and 500mA in 100mA load units. The Macs being discussed met the spec--just--but couldn't properly power certain USB devices that were fussy about voltage. In fact, one person described a USB mic of having it's LED light up but not provide audio output.

The Macbook Pro was specifically mentioned as having a "tight power budget".

...may be totally different but I thought it worth mentioning.

You'll probably find it's down to the computer selecting the default playback device. On Windows machines, it probably (although being Microsoft, nothing is reliable enough to say "always" http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif ), selects the most recently connected sound playback device. On a Mac, it's less "idiot-orientated" and is probably happy just sticking with the same one as it always uses. (I know this would suggest that the Macbook's speakers would play the music, but it might be in a "limbo" mode, where it doesn't know where to play it.)

Make sure the playback device is set as the external card, both in the system configuration, and in the program you are using to play the music.

Many thanks, Steven, spot on. On the Windows 7 laptop, the device is detected when the USB is connected, on the MBP you have to go into >preferences>sound and change manually from internal speakers to USB Codec.

thanks for your help.

Tony

Archived