Raining Poppies

ScottishCol

Didn't someone post a picture of the White Light drops within the last week? May have been an old thread dredged up...

Water cooler bottles in a steel frame... Can't remember what the thread was about so searching is difficult.

They consist of a water cooler bottle with a regular series of holes cut into it, mounted in a steel frame and rotated by a motor, if Andrew is talking about the same units I am.

The holes might be a bit small for poppies as standard, but with a bit of modification it could work.

Hmm... been speaking to Just FX and they said their swirl fans were less than impressive with poppies...

Andrew and Mark - I beleive this is called a TUMBLER effect, does anyone actually make/supply them? Google has been fruitless.

I read that back and realised it could come across a little patronising, what with the capitals. Sorry y'all.

Still looking for a supplier of such a tumbler effect.

When I worked at a medium-sized concert hall in the South West about 15 yrs ago, the remembrance day poppy drop involved the removal of two of the orchestral downlight parcans from their usual locations in the canopy above the stage and the deployment of two cadets with cardboard boxes full of poppies into the canopy. At the appropriate moment, the cadets were required to pour the contents of their cardboard boxes through the apertures created by the removal of the parcans, using specially constructed funnels / chutes made from other cardboard boxes. The height of the canopy (more than 15 metres I think, though memory might exaggerate) meant that the aerodynamics (or lack thereof) of the poppies meant they pretty much fluttered their way through the whole auditorium. Surprisingly moving. How technology has moved on ...

of course this lo-tech solution may not be appropriate here if there is (a) no access to the space above the stage / hall for staff during the event, and (b) no available staff....

E2A - as far as I know, (it had been in use long before I worked at the venue) this method was designed by the army, using KISS principles.

Still looking for a supplier of such a tumbler effect.

I believe Set Up Scenery have a large number of these available for hire, can't vouch for their suitability for this effect, but may be worth a call...

A large number of 2" confetti cannons filled with poppies and fired by gas or pyro sequentially -with the flutter this may look like a continuous drop. JustFX may have some venturi blowers that will suck fetti from a dustbin and blow it into the roof for it to flutter down, they will get through a bin of fetti in seconds.

If the OP is interested in looking at the hire options out there, he might want to look out for Artistry in Motion's "Silent Storms". Pyrojunkies or similar will be able to help. You would need a few of them for your application.

60m x 30m is a pigging big area to fill when your budget is... limited.

Archived