enttec

norderlai

Hi, I´m new in this forum and I have a question.I´m interested in enttec´s DMX-usb interface, but I´d prefer to work with another software, like sunlite or lightjockey. I think that in enttec´s page they said that it´s possible to work with their interface and any software, but I´m not sure,it´s possible work with this combination? If anybody is doing shows work with this interface could tell me his experience and give me a bit of help? thanks. I´d like to know too who is the best system to work (XP...)

Hi,

I have a laptop that I keep loaded with the free Chamsys MagicQ software and then output DMX via the Enttec usb widget.

Setting up proved rather frustrating due to windows wanting to change drivers that are used, but this is fully explained on the Enttec site and with a bit of patience and a phone call to Chris at Chamsys I was ritually abused but put on the right track!!! (Please don't worry about his customer care skills - he maybe just knows me too well!) However if you need support the Enttec site should be all you need.

Once MagicQ PC is on your machine set the output of universe one to Enttec and your done!

For the money - around £50 - I now have a single universe of fully functioning desk on my PC. Great for simple use where testing or its of a low impact type of desk usage.

Once you've become a Chamsys convert its then relatively cheap to buy the PC Wing and using your computer still it gives ten playback faders, basic key commands and rotary encoders for programing with 2 universes straight out of the wing..... Check their website....

Oh yeah, I'm running XP pro on a 1.7 athlon 512 ram ( I think... computers aren't my technical area as many will confess.... its about 6 mnths old anyway!!)

You'll probably want to check with Martin themselves, but unless they changed something, Light Jockey will only work with Martin interfaces.

I've heard rumours that some one is making "Light Jockey compatable" usb-DMX dongles out there, regrettable I've forgoten who. The thing is the light jockey software is free to download (well some versions at least) and the only way martin actually make money on it is selling the dongels. I'll post again if anyone at work can remember who it was making them. They're just sold as usb-DMX dongles and its mentioned that yes they do work with light jockey.

That´ll be wonderful,I´m now searching in sunlite´s site an I think that their software only works with their dongle, I´d prefer to work whit martin´s software, I think that´s easier and more intuitive than others (maybe because I know it more than others) What do you think about magicQ? practic for direct shows? I work most times, always in shows with between 4/8 spots and less than 48000 watts in conventional lights, with only 2/3 hours to program (sometimes).Normally I do rock...anybody have an opinion??? thanks

Chamsys Magic-Q can take Art-Net in, so you could patch an art-net universe to an Open DMX USB and use any art-net compatible console (you might need a more powerful PC, though!)

I have no idea whether Sunlight is Art-Net compatible!

HTH

Ellis

I have used sunlite and can say its a very good little box, all be it a little annoying with easy stand alone for use in a theatrical production like the other guy at my work thought it might be.

I have taken it to frogmore, and I am sure a mr daniel arkley can give you the details, but he used the sunlite box with a program called show-cad.

it worked justt the same as on ESA but I think showcad was rather a more complicated way of doing things, as I have got used to the "desk fader" like layout in ESA.

not sure whether it could be compatible with more but using it with showcad certainly makes me think it is anyway.

Matt

I have used sunlite and can say its a very good little box, all be it a little annoying with easy stand alone for use in a theatrical production like the other guy at my work thought it might be.

I have taken it to frogmore, and I am sure a mr daniel arkley can give you the details, but he used the sunlite box with a program called show-cad.

it worked justt the same as on ESA but I think showcad was rather a more complicated way of doing things, as I have got used to the "desk fader" like layout in ESA.

not sure whether it could be compatible with more but using it with showcad certainly makes me think it is anyway.

Matt

ShowCAD was, I believe, designed to work with the Sunlite interface. When I installed the drivers for the ShowCAD interface onto my laptop, it even showed up as a Sunlite interface. Definatley worth trying if not buying though, I love it.

Martin LightJockey plus Fingers is a computer software programme that allows DMX control from a computer via a dongle, Fingers is the wing.

Hog PC is also a computer based package which has the Hog 2/3 operating system in which you can buy playback and programming wings.

... is there any other companies that you can use a DMX dongle from the computer (So you can use it as a lighting desk) and which allow you to purchase a wing to connect??

Lightfactory can use Enttec dongle, and can also use an ordinary DMX output lighting desk for submasters fader control.

Once MagicQ PC is on your machine set the output of universe one to Enttec and your done! For the money - around £50 - I now have a single universe of fully functioning desk on my PC.

And you can put on more Enttec dongles, and thus get more universes, but remember you need to put them in one by one, so you get the universes as expected each time you restart the PC.

Once you've become a Chamsys convert its then relatively cheap to buy the PC Wing and using your computer still it gives ten playback faders, basic key commands and rotary encoders for programing with 2 universes straight out of the wing.....

I do enjoy my MagicQ PC faderwing. Got one as xmas present... ;-)

Quite correctly you get 2 output DMX universes from the wing. But then note the Enttec dongle driver might interfere with the wing driver. The best way to still be able to use the Enttec dongle is to output examplewise 3rd (3. to 6.) DMX universe on MagicQPC as ArtNet, and set up another (old leftover) PC with SoftNode and up to 4

Enttec dongles. SoftNode application url is reached from Enttec OpenUSBDMX dongle homepage.

Archived