Led lighting

delighted

Chroma Q LED Block, have a chat with AC and they may have a demo unit if your interested in purchasing, they are quite bright, but does depend what your trying to battle it against...

I've seen them at various trade shows, but never used them on a show...

To control LED lighting from a Pearl, depends what you want to use, a commercial LED unit will usually have a DMX input or DMX interface to allow you to control it, giving you in its simplest form 3channels (R/G/B)

and for some of the stuff they offer inbuilt programs/chases on different channels... ( pulsar chromazones for example )

Is this what you mean? or more specific as to how it works on a pearl? patching etc...

regards...

Colin

Can someone explain how the led lighting could be controlled from a Pearl. And second does any one have experience with de Chrome Q Led block, is it effective as blinder too?

:D

We have all the details of the Chroma Q Color Block on our website.

Click Here for details

We are now getting stock of the blinder brackets so if you want to take a look at these let us know and we can arrange a visit to you,or you are more than welcome to visit us here in High Wycombe and take a look yourself.

UK Rental companies that stock Color Block are Essential, DBN , White Light , Event Lighting , XL Video , and Bandit. Feel free to get in touch with them and ask their opinion of the units.

We are also getting stock of the other accessories such as the 90deg Mitred corners, Hinges and Wall mounts. We currently have the single yokes and the Batten brackets available right now.

The brightness of these units is very high, and as a blinder you will not be disapointed, nor come to that in any configuration. (Remember that you have lots of different options with these modular units.)

Please feel free to contact me or any member of the AC Team to arrange a demo.

Kind regards

Lee House

AC Lighting Limited

Lee.house@aclighting.com

Chroma Q LED Block, have a chat with AC and they may have a demo unit if your interested in purchasing, they are quite bright, but does depend what your trying to battle it against...

To control LED lighting from a Pearl, depends what you want to use, a commercial LED unit will usually have a DMX input or DMX interface to allow you to control it, giving you in its simplest form 3channels (R/G/B)

and for some of the stuff they offer inbuilt programs/chases on different channels... ( pulsar chromazones for example )

Is this what you mean? or more specific as to how it works on a pearl? patching etc...

regards...

Colin

Thanks a lot for your help! Realy great! My question is in fact also about patching!

All you need to do to patch the Colour Blocks is to obtain a fixture profile for the Colour Block and then assign it as if it were any other fixture. If you read the links in Lee's post, you'll be able to download the Manual. From this you can work out what to do to the fixture to make it match the patch on the desk.

From the manual, it appears the Colour Block runs in lots of modes. You should pick the mode which suits your use best, and obtain a fixture profile for the fixture in this mode. In mode 1, each Colour Block controller can use 67 channels so be sure you need all the controls before you comitt a large portion of your DMX universe to several small fixtures.

To obtain a fixture profile for the Pearl, you'd be best off contacting Avolites directly. You can Request a Personality on their website.

Hope this helps.

Peter

regards...

Colin

Thanks a lot for your help! Realy great! My question is in fact also about patching!

Patching and using Color Block is very easy.

To explain this I will go into a bit of detail about the different modes.

There are 9 Modes you can use.

These can be broken down into 3 lots of 3

//Individual control of each cell (a cell being one of the 4 RGB sources on the front of the block)

Mode 1 (67 channels)

Effects plus HSI of each Cell

Mode 2 (60 channels)

HSI only of each cell

mode 3 (60 channels)

RGB of each Cell

//Control of each Block

Mode 4 (21 Channels)

Effects plus HSI of each Block

Mode 5 (15 Channels)

HSI of each Block

Mode 6 (15 channels)

RGB of each Block

//Control of all 5 blocks as one (each power supply controls up to 5 blocks)

Mode 7 (9 channels)

Effects and HSI of all 5

Mode 8 (3 channels)

HSI of all 5

Mode 9 (3 channels)

RGB of all 5

So you can see now that this is a simple pattern to follow.

Now if you are running these from a DMX device that has a built in Effects Generator i.e.: Vista, HOG, Grandma, MAXXYZ, AVO etc etc then you are best running them in either Pure HSI or RGB and then applying colour effects from the console over them.

However if you want to run these on a desk without such capabilities then you can use the effect onboard.

These differ from other LED manufacturers in that we don’t have Pre Built Effects.

You have 6 channels of Effects that you can add on top of one and other to create your own.

So...

Channel 1 : Colour Roll (variable)

Channel 2: Fan

Channel 3: Spread (this is how much of the spectrum the colour rolls between)

Channel 4: Step (from smooth to steppy)

Channel 5: Intensity effects (fade in fade out; fade in snap out; snap in fade out etc and strobe)

Channel 6 Intensity Effects Fan

In Mode 1 you get an extra channel at the start which is grouping. This allow control of all cells then every 2nd every 3rd every 4th etc etc

Addressing them is easy too. You set the Start address of the first block/cell on the power supply and the rest of the block are self addressing forwards from that.

There are no awkward menus to navigate or dip switches to move.

Hope this helps a bit and any more questions or for a demo then please just get in touch.

Kind regards

Lee House

AC Lighting limited

Lee.house@aclighting.com

We now have Chroma Q LED blocks personalities for all modes (although spread across several personalities) for the Pearl here at Avo. Until I've finished rewriting the software that updates our personality library it won't be available on the website, but you can e-mail me at philip at avolites dot com (replacing at with @ and dot with .) and I'll mail it out to anyone that wants.

Likewise, if anyone's got problems with patching or using the blocks either e-mail me, or ask on here and I'll help you out as best I can.

Lee was kind enough to pop down and give us a demo of the Chroma Q Colour Block, and I have to say I was very impressed. I was sceptical initially about the single LED per colour per cell arrangement as opposed to the multiple LED per cell (i.e. Thomas Pixeline, Pulsar Chroma Bank). I figured that there just wouldn't be enough output from one LED but I can happily say that I was proved wrong!

Couple that with the array of different configurations and I think AC have got themseleves an excellent product there.

• 1 month later...

You need a controller for each block of five.

This accepts 5pin DMX, which it then sends out on four pin XLR - two power, two signal.

DMX address is set on the controller - which also does a number of other things as stated above.

In one of its modes you can set it to be 60 individual lamps, which fits very nicely onto one page of a Pearl - you obviously patch it as dimmers. This method is a little basic and makes plotting chases etc a bit time consuming, but it does work.

Yes, they do work as blinders depending on how many you have/how bright everything else is.

Dead good for teaching desks................would you rather rig 10 six lamp bars or 5 sections of Chroma block?

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ken

You need a controller for each block of five.

This accepts 5pin DMX, which it then sends out on four pin XLR - two power, two signal.

DMX address is set on the controller - which also does a number of other things as stated above.

In one of its modes you can set it to be 60 individual lamps, which fits very nicely onto one page of a Pearl - you obviously patch it as dimmers. This method is a little basic and makes plotting chases etc a bit time consuming, but it does work.

Yes, they do work as blinders depending on how many you have/how bright everything else is.

Dead good for teaching desks................would you rather rig 10 six lamp bars or 5 sections of Chroma block?

Thanks for your excellent post Ken, just to help clarify, each block (fixture) has 4 cells. 5 blocks will be powered by one PSU. The PSU can operate in standalone mode, but more generally is controlled by DMX. We have 3 main control modes for the PSU. RGB, HSI and HSI with effects and each main control mode is available in 3 grouping options: Firstly as each cell as a fixture (20x3=60 channels), secondly each block as a standalone fixture (5x3=15 channels) and lastly as the whole PSU output as a fixture (3 channels).

The big channel modes were really designed for consoles with grown-up effects engines. With the Color Block PSU effects engines designed for the smaller consoles or when programming time is a premium (nearly always!).

We have a blinder bracket which takes 4 Color Blocks. It gives a similar output to say a 575 wash light or PAR64. When it shines in your face it's a blinder, trust me on this! It does however have a narrowish beam angle.

Glyn O'Donoghue

A.C. Lighting

Archived