Looking for...

TeeJay

Haven't seen one of those in this country for ages. Mind you, you don't come across many Altman Lekos these days, either!

To answer the question about what it is - the old Altman Lekos had rather odd-shaped tilt locks, which exhibited two main features - they got very hot ; and they were extremely poor at locking the tilt (something of a disadvantage for a tilt lock) necessitating a really good 'heave' to tighten them up after focussing. An Altman Leko spanner has a cross-shaped moulded end which fits snugly over the tilt lock of said leko, enabling an electrician to get enough torque on the tilt lock to stop the lantern drooping, and to do so without burning the first couple of layers of skin off his hands!

I don't think you'll have any option other than importing from the US, where old Altmans are far more common. Tools For Stagecraft do an Altman spanner here.

I have a wingnut spanner which sounds similar, it is called something along the lines of "Biancherry" How it is spelt, I have no idea, but that is how it sounds. Basically as squashed bit of box section welded to a handle. Blooming useful, sadly no longer made.

HTH

I have a wingnut spanner which sounds similar, it is called something along the lines of "Biancherry" How it is spelt, I have no idea, but that is how it sounds. Basically as squashed bit of box section welded to a handle. Blooming useful, sadly no longer made.

HTH

... except by looking on www.wingnutspanner.co.uk who sell them for £12 + P&P.

Archived