Projecting onto a circular screen

Blue Harvest

Hi all,

I have a show coming up which requires projecting various VT sources (possibly Beta SP, DVD and Camera relay)and graphics onto a circular R/P screen. I was thinking of running everything through a vision mixer and using either keying or DVE to create the image size and shape I would need. My problem is quality - the client wants the images to look good. I was thinking along the lines of an MX50 at first but on second thoughts am beginning to have doubts about the quality and positioning. Would a MagicDVE be a better bet?

If there any bright ideas out there or case studies of people who have done something similar I would like to hear them.

Thanks

Hi Oliver

We have recently been doing Australian Pink Floyd projecting on to circular sceens. one 4m across the other 6m across.

Pm or e-mail me with any questions I see what I can answer bearing in mind that I am a lampie not a video person

Doug

Quality of picture will rely on more than just the image processing kit youre using. An Mx 50 can give you quite useable results depending on what you want to achieve and how you go about it. Any more detail forthcoming ? theres more than just a this or that to your answer Im afraid.

like mike was saying, the quality of the projected image will only be that of the quality of the video from each media you are using.

This can sometimes be rather frustrating to explain to non technical people when they say "oh I thought it was gonna look better than that" when they give you a 20 year old (exaggerated) video and expect dvd quality from it - AND then say "oh, can you make it better?"

Quality does also come down to how you are sending the signal as well, a composite signal is going to look crap compared to component, RGBHV or SDI but it depends on what you require...

If composite is fine for your situation then an MX50 could probably do the job, depends what is required, the only danger though with an MX50 is it only needs someone to knock your joystick at the top and your circular mask will move...

Funnily enough, I tried to do that, but with card board/plywood, and it didn't work!

It just went through the hole and looked weird.

I too was enitially going to use a circular projection screen, but realised that it was almost impossible to do and subsequently settled for a rectangle one.

Anyone else know if there are any other ways of doing it?

have seen this done a couple of times in different ways...

onto a ellipsoidal screen, just using powerpoint, so it was easy to create the slide template and format all the slides to it (well not that easy to reformat 4:3 powerpoint into ellipsoidal shape!!!)

onto a circular screen rear projection into a set, with data and Beta VT's powerpoint in a circular template, all the VT's made by the production company shot keeping the subject in the centre and then a circular mask applied in post.

whole screen was overscanned by 10% and looked really good

as for ways to do it... mx50 is fine providing you don't have too much powerpoint you have to scan convert down. the folsom screen shaper might help, I believe CT have one. As mentioned if you knock the joystick on the mx50 yer stuffed, you could do it on a magicDVE, but personally I would also re-record any of the VT's that I could with a correct aspect ratio circular mask applied and still put it all through a DVE unit.

Putting a piece of cardboard infront of the lens is a daft idea, thats like trying to focus a gobo by putting it in the colour frame holder, all that would happen is the the edges of the screen go slightly soft and blurry.

slim...

Plus...

Live camera looks good on a circular screen, some VT rolls look ok, but its very difficult to design good looking circular powerpoint, use pie charts not bar graphs!!!

I recently did a show with 4 rear projected circle truss screens (3.4m diameter truss) set into a truss set. Inputs were live camera x 3 (the operators had masked off viewfinder screens for limits of the circle), ppt designed with a circle mask, and non critical sponsor vt played back in ppt to enable 4:3 to playout with a surround (everything was shot before the circle idea had been conceived). we overscanned the 4:3 projectors slightly on the height and the set was used to mask off the spare. Worked a treat, set was a james bond style where the screens where the barrels of the gun, like the logo. Looked good, but the lenses were fixed 0.8 and projectors were flown so, rather _boring_ to rig to make all 4 screens look the same, especially as 2 outer screens could be split off just to show cameras.

p.s. we used a analogway centrix to do the matrix output.

Pete.

Fairly confident one of the AV companies here has a circular trilite screen with various materials. If you couldn't make a suitable mask, then setting it in a drape/set  to mask off the overspill might well be an option.

I've just finished doing an Art installation where the Artist wanted to project on to a screen embedded in a circular window. Bear in mind that the vertical position of the projector effects the projected image. Even with keystone correction we had a hell of a time fitting the image to the circular screen accurately. Hopefully you wont have to be precise.

We took the video footage into Final Cut and created a slightly squashed circle mask to allow for the positioning of the projector on the ceiling but doing this without the maths meant making many different ratio masks to find the one that worked best.

Regards

Archived