Is the Look Unique a Fazer?

borgqueenx

Sorry, I might be confused, but I would have thought larger heavier particle size would give longer hang time. For example a Cirro Strata 'oil' based hazer would have bigger particles so heavier so hang in the air longer whereas a Unique has fine light 'water' based particles that are more easily moved around and lifted with air movement.

At least that is my experience of haze...

A typical water glycol particle is 20 micron. A DF-50 is 1 micron. Can't say about the Cirro but I think it's fair to assume it is in the same ball-park. I don't know what the size is for the Le-Maitre.

This is I think all too confusing for its own good. There are clearly lots of factors. Personally I can get a lovely fine haze from the Unique and prefer the mk1 over the mk2. Ideally I would use oil but the residue is horrible.

If you want another unit to consider then maybe look at the Pea Soup Phantom hazer. Particle size 0.2 micron. Lots of people saying good things about them.

yes I have seen that phantom. but that does not include VAT and does not include shipping and does not include fluid.....WAY over what I want to spend for a hazer.

20 micron sounds huge now that ive read your post. how much micron is smoke from a fog machine with a fan?

The mineral oil machines are the most expensive, although the Phantom is cheaper than the DF-50 or MDG. Also the fluid is definitely cheaper than the Unique. Robe do a couple of machines - might be worth investigating prices?

A 'fog' machine will use water/glycol so essentially will always be around 20 micron.

I still say get a demo - this is the only way you can be sure. For something like this a distributor should be more than happy to help. The Unique's are very popular machines and you will probably find they will do the job fine.

The mineral oil machines are the most expensive, although the Phantom is cheaper than the DF-50 or MDG. Also the fluid is definitely cheaper than the Unique. Robe do a couple of machines - might be worth investigating prices?

A 'fog' machine will use water/glycol so essentially will always be around 20 micron.

I still say get a demo - this is the only way you can be sure. For something like this a distributor should be more than happy to help. The Unique's are very popular machines and you will probably find they will do the job fine.

smokemachines.net salesman told me the MVS had smaller particle size because it heated up the glycol more...or something like that.

They don't use glycol (diethylene glycol). They use glycerine (also called glycerol). The difference is important.

oh sorry, and thanks.

it had to do with heating though. at least according to the saleman. the explaination from the salesman is also in post 1.

I cant go for a demo quickly, there are no large DJ gear shops around. and if there is one they dont carry both the MVS and the unique 2.1.

Normally if a company wants your business they will be happy to travel to you with demonstration units. Look at stage lighting distributors, not DJ shops.

hmmm I doubt that will happen here. I do not have a business / company.

I do this for fun and for little money sometimes.

They would probaly ask money for driving to me, but thanks il try.

• 4 weeks later...
I have used the Unique 1's, Unique 2's and the MVS several times before, and like many others who have posted here I would pick the MVS over either Uniques. More economical on fluid, finer haze produced that hangs longer, great options for projection angle and sweep. Only down side is the somewhat confusing menu system! As your sales rep has pointed out the Uniques behave exactly the same as a smoke machine with a fan!

Unique 2.1 user here - can't comment on the other machine but can tell what the unique does do well:

Lots of haze very quickly - handy for open air festivals.

Not oil based so less objections from venues.

Minimal warm-up time when initially switch on and no duty cycle.

We purchased from White Light after they agreed to match Thomann's price! and would always recommend this approach as (in the unlikely event) of a return, postage to Wimbledon is more economical then Germany :-)

did they also match thomann's 3 year warranty out of interest? If so, sounds like a good deal.

I run the phantom machines from pea soup / concept and it way outperforms uniques / mvs units, with zero deposits even after being in one venue for 6 weeks. The machine uses about 20% of the fluid of the unique mk1 for the same amount of haze in the same venue as you can run the machine much lower due to the much longer hanging time of the phantom's haze. This has saved me considerable money over the last 2 1/2 years of ownership, so this is a cost that should be factored in to any long term buying decisions.

these machines seem to be spreading now - we did a festival job over the summer, and the laser company we were working with couldn't believe the even haze we were getting in a huge outdoor dance arena - and bought themselves a phantom system as a result.

I know I might sound like a stuck record - I just find it surprising that people persist in using fazer type machines with their uneven coverage and often unsubtle haze when cheap to run, much higher performance and totally clean, residue free systems exist for moderate cost.

whereas the unique you have to do a shutdown proceudre, which if you forget or delegate the task to someone else, can cause the pipes to clog and the machine to PI55 all over the place. If you can squeeze the budget, I would go for the MVS every day of the week.

I'm fairly sure that the Unique II we use shuts down automatically a little while after it stops receiving DMX - it may depend how you run your control?

Archived