MagicQ - using an iphone as a remote

paulears

I just found an old BT router laying around that I thought I could use to make the wireless link between magicq on a PC and my iphone, but although I can access the router from the computer via the network cable, and the iphone can get into the router wirelessly via the wep key setting working - I can't seem to find the right settings in setup/network to make the two talk. Has anyone done this and if so, could they share what boxes they put details in, and which they left alone? The app seems to work - but just can't find magicq?

Paul

I struggled for a while with this. IP address ranges shouldn't matter, so long as the PC and iPhone are in the same subnet. intyra is right, you need a wing or another official magicq hardware addon attached to 'unlock' the feature, and the key setting is View Settings, Multi Console, Remote Control “Enabled”.

Thanks Joe! I got that far. The key appears to be the hardware - it's all sitting in the venue and I've got a showfile copy on the laptop - so I shall wait until tomorrow and try it on the system with wings - this makes sense, because I'd gone through the obvious IP address in the various boxes yet it didn't even tell me I'd done it wrong.

I guess the other thing to make sure of, before you start delving into settings in MagicQ, is whether the phone and PC can see each other.

Sorry Paul, I'm not 100% sure how computery you are, so I may be teaching my granny to suck eggs a little here:

Go onto the phone, Settings > Wifi > Tap the little blue circled arrow to the right of the wireless network. You'll see your handset's IP address

On your laptop, launch a command prompt. In Windows, you'll need to launch 'cmd', on a Mac then you need to run 'terminal'

Type 'ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx', where the xxx bit is the phone's IP address, and press enter.

If you don't get a response first time round, try pinging your phone again, but make sure the screen is lit up - if it's not, then it may have disabled the wifi to save battery.

If the phone and laptop are talking to each other, you'll get something like this:

PING 192.168.0.6 (192.168.0.6): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 192.168.0.6: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=50.780 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.6: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=391.946 ms

If they're not on speaking terms, you'll see this:

PING 192.168.0.6 (192.168.0.6): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

Slight hijack, but does the iphone remote work on any IP range, provided they are in the same subnet?

I bought a nasty belkin router for £5 off ebay hoping to use it for this, but it won't let me set an ip range which is 'routable', or in belkin terms not 192.168.

Yes, I believe so. It worked with 192.168* before we setup the router to dish out artnet IPs

What I know is that the iPhone won't play ball at all unless there is an address typed into the 'router' address in the ip address setting. If you have dhcp enabled you may not be able to type a static router address. Enter the same static address the router issued you when you have dhcp enabled and then type in the router address.

The chamsys iPhone app will work on any ip band providing the iPhone and Pc/console are on the same ip.

range and subnet.

To get the Chamsys app to work, remote access and remote control need to be enabled (in the multi console settings page on the magicQ software). I believe you also need to enter a password on both the magicQ software (network settings, down the bottom somewhere!) and the magicQ Chamsys iPhone app. Obviously the passwords need to be the same.

Lastly, you need some sort of genuine Chamsys software to enable the remote access from the Chamsys iPhone app.

Hope this helps!

Dunc

Lastly, you need some sort of genuine Chamsys software to enable the remote access from the Chamsys iPhone app.

Shouldn't that be hardware? I thought the remote apps only worked if you had a wing, or some other piece of Chamsys hardware connected.

That's correct.

Shouldn't that be hardware? I thought the remote apps only worked if you had a wing, or some other piece of Chamsys hardware connected.

That's correct.

Would you be able to give a rundown of the hardware options available necessary to enable the feature Wol?

Archived