name that "thing"!

Chris_R

Hi,

I have noticed on some events there are, what seem to be large white stars which can give a nice looking effect when lights are on them. Kind of like the two white "things" in the picture Here but with stars.

Can anyone tell me the name of them and where I might be able to get them from?

Thanks,

Chris

Guest lightnix

I can't remember the (exact) name / nickname for them (Sun-something ?), but if I'm thinking along the right lines, they are mainly used by Film and TV LDs to provide a flat, even, shadow-free open white cover, much like natural sunlight. It's not uncommon to see a dozen or more of these hanging in film studios on shoots. Inside are several halogen linear lamps (like those used in Codas, etc.) at around 500 / 1kW each.

That's what they look like to me, anyway.

You're thinking of Airstar balloons, I reckon ...

...kind of! Their more Star shaped though and can be hung from truss. Ive seen them hung on a 3m truss if I recall correctly. I couldn't see a star one on AirStars website, but may may have overlooked it! Please correct me if im wrong!

Thanks,

Chris

You're thinking of Airstar balloons, I reckon ...

...kind of! Their more Star shaped though and can be hung from truss. I've seen them hung on a 3m truss if I recall correctly. I couldn't see a star one on AirStars website, but may may have overlooked it! Please correct me if im wrong!

Thanks,

Chris

Could it be that they are just inflatable stars? we use them left right and centre. White silky material with a fan in the top, glow really well in UV. They come in all sames and sizes, we have a range from about 1m diameter to at least 3 and im sure they come bigger and smaller than that. When I'm in tomorrow I'll find out more useful detials. The ones I'm thinking of need to be lit rather than giving any light.

Archived