Fire Curtain

Lee Brennan

Painting (if you want to sound like a pro, call it "encapsulation") is sometimes a possibility. It's often used for asbestos ceiling tiles etc. As well as encapsulating, you need clear warning labels and you must ensure that your procedures do not allow drilling etc. If you have an encapsulated asbestos ceiling, and you need to install a new ceiling light, you have a problem....

But encapsulation is not appropriate if the asbestos is friable (crumbly), or if a refurb is in progress, or if it likely to be mechanically damaged - eg bumped with a ladder etc. For the latter reason, I doubt it would be appropriate for this case. But check with the asbestos gurus....

Bruce.

• 4 weeks later...

Last year I came across a similar thing with the fire curtain at my old venue. We only discovered there was asbestos in the fire curtain when one side of it got torn, potentially releasing it. At that point we had to stop using the fire curtain but if my memory serves me right, and please dont take this as solid information.. we were told while it was sealed inside the curtain it didnt pose a threat, however when one side of the curtain tore, it was potentially dangerous. It may be worth your while checking to see if that is the case in ur position.

Also, how big is the venue? Again, I'm not totally sure and maybe someone can enlighten me on the exact regs, but I think if the venue is smaller than 500 capacity you don't have to have a fire curtain at all...

I've also heard, but I don't know for sure, there is no longer a legal requirement to drop in front of every audience.... may have just been a technician tryin to get roudn the situation tho?! :)

The info I've put in this post is not completely solid, so please don't take it that way. But it may be a couple of points to raise.

Munky :o

We don't drop the iron everyday, or every performance. Not been a requirement of our PEL for ages. What we do have is a list of test drops, with dates & sigs- plus the inspection test documents. I guess the old once per show rule, is just another bit of theatre history that always happens.

Archived