Future of the industry

peter

Guest lightnix
...as a side note, I can see traditional lighting fixtures becoming illegal on H&S grounds because they get so hot!!!

I live for the day... :D An alternative might be a "cool wall" design for lamp housings, as used in modern toasters.

Any thoughts on what sound technology will be doing in future?

I was at a demonstration/seminar a few years ago when NXT flat speakers were being introduced for the first time, and Richard Newlove from Wharfedale was saying that the main drawback of 'ceiling tile' speakers was that they needed to be very big in order to get a decent bass response. However, he suggested, in the future the whole of the back wall of a stage could be a 'cyc' made of NXT paneling which would give incredible bass response, require no loudspeakers at all and produce no feedback even when you walked right in front of it with a microphone (it's to do with the way NXT works). The performers would hear exactly the same as the audience and no-one need be deafened as the sound spreads evenly over the whole room (rather like a grand piano in a concert hall).

OK, no use for bands who'd all want different foldback, but perfect for a lot of dramas. I look forward to when it's available.

Wharfedale's NXT page for more information as to where we are now.

Guest lightnix
Any thoughts on what sound technology will be doing in future?

There was a demo on Tomorrow's World some time ago, featuring a material that would oscillate at a frequency which depended on the voltage applied to it. You could make a very tiny cylinder of this stuff and then fix it to a sheet of something, which would act as a sounding board. Another application were party balloons made of the stuff, which would play tunes.

A couple of years back, I met an LD / ML Op who had invested in the technology and was optimistic for the future of it, although he admitted it could be a while before it went into full production.

Guest lightnix
Tomorrow's World was finally dropped by the BBC a few years ago. Although it was very interesting, the sad fact was that hardly any (and maybe even none) of the ideas it demonstrated (live, I may add) ever actually made it into our everyday lives.

Archived