more eBay fraud

lx999

Funny how both the ETC console and the sound console are both located in "london London"  spelt the same with a small "L" at the beggining followed by a larger "L"

hmmm........

and both items are private user ID....

The london London thing is not something I noticed as suss. I'm looking for another motorcycle and see a lot on ebay located in london London. Now it's been mentioned I'm beginning to wonder.......

Tim

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny how both the ETC console and the sound console are both located in "london London"   spelt the same with a small "L" at the beggining followed by a larger "L"

hmmm........

and both items are private user ID....

The london London thing is not something I noticed as suss. I'm looking for another motorcycle and see a lot on ebay located in london London. Now it's been mentioned I'm beginning to wonder.......

Tim

The 'london, London' thing is NOT uncommon, nor is it an idicator of the validity of the sale. I beileve this has something to do with the way in which ebay displays location details, ie: 'london' is the text the user entered and 'London' is from a select list. There are many thousands (I'm sure) of genuine items on ebay listed as being in 'london London', so I think this is kind of irrelevent. ;)

Tom

Still don't get this london london thing - anyone wanna explain?

All I was trying to point out is that there are thousands upon thousands of items listed on ebay as being in located in 'london, London'.

I know of at least one very reputable seller who deals in lighting equipment on ebay, who is listed as being in 'london, london'.

Tom

Of course if you really want to be paranoid...

Seller's payment instructions

Please email me before bidding in order to make sure that you agree with the price and terms. Thanks and good luck !!!

Seller's payment instructions

Please email me before bidding in order to make sure that you agree with the price and terms. Thanks and good luck !!!

hi guys,

the easiest way to check fraudulent ebay stuff out is to offer them cash on collection.. If they refuse to let you collect then theres more than likely something dodgy going on (not always as some people can work funny hours or such, but they can normaly fit you in at some point).. with kit like that I think its quite a reasonable thing to ask to collect in person.. this doesn't help of course if the item is stolen.. although if it is stolen they may insist to meet you somewhere other than at their work or home.

rgds

chris

When buying on ebay I normally prefer to pay cash on collection, especially on items over £200, and most genuine sellers are fine with that as they want rid of their items and want to get money asap. I have sold a couple of projectors and taken bankers drafts from people collecting them. If somebody isn't interested in meeting me to conduct a deal then they are not worth dealing with!

paul...

I have sold a couple of projectors and taken bankers drafts from people collecting them.

There is a common misconception that bank drafts (and building society cheques) are watertight. This is a not the case - they can be forged or stolen and are not 100% bounce-proof. However, it's normally possible to arrange for a bank draft to be issued at any branch of your bank, so you could ask your customer to do this and go to a local branch with them to watch it being written out. A car dealer once got me to do this when I wanted to drive away with my purchase immediately - quite understandable really.

This sounds a good principle to work on, but what if the seller lives in Scotland and you live in Cornwall - what would you say the best 'trust exercise' is?

"Trust no-one" is good motto. ;)

If you pay by PayPal, using a credit card funded payment, your credit card company is a party to the transaction under the consumer credit act (providing the value is over £100) and is responsible if the goods don't arrive or turn out to be stolen or not as described, etc. You are supposed to use PayPal's dispute resolution service first, but if this fails, you tell your credit card provider what has happened and request them to do a "chargeback", which means they will reverse the transaction, return your money, and PayPal will have to sort out the mess and try to get the money back from the vendor.

That's little help if the vendor doesn't accept PayPal which most fraudsters won't for that very reason. Also, PayPal takes a commission from the transaction value (3.4% I think) and some sellers quite understandably don't like that. You could, of course, offer to pay the commission yourself, in which case a seller shouldn't mind. However, from the seller's viewpoint, there is always the risk that they could be paid with a dodgy card through PayPal, in which case they stand to lose out.

You can also try to check the vendor's identity - are they in the phone book or on the electoral register? Talk to them over the phone - do they sound genuine (but then, conmen sound genuine as well). What do they know about the goods they are selling and the industry in which they are used? Ask for references from other customers, but remember these could be false.

There are third-party escrow services (eg www.escrow.com) which will hold your money until you are happy with the goods. A genuine vendor should accept the use of one of these if you pay the charges.

In the end, there is a risk in any transaction. You can take steps to manage or reduce the risk, but if you're unhappy, don't go through with it. A bargain that sounds too good to be true probably is just that. Buying high-value goods from a unknown vendor is high-risk.

I've used ebay for buying and selling kit for almost four years and have only had one instance of someone (a buyer) trying to con me, which was blatantly obvious.

HTH

Dave

If you pay by PayPal, using a credit card funded payment, your credit.....<snip>

HTH

Dave

Yes it does. Thank you very much. I've never felt 'easy' with the whole ebay thing but having read your post I now see ways of decreasing the risk to an acceptable level.

It is a shame that I should feel like this as I'm sure the vast majority of ebayers are good honest people but it always looked to me a perfect means for someone to part me from my money with no return. I have friends who have used ebay and none have had any probs but they do admit to worrying until the goods turn up.

Thanks again Dave (and everyone else) for educating me in world of ebay safety. ;)

Tim

Archived