more eBay fraud

lx999

Well that has generated yet more probs. I'll keep most of them to myself as I don't want to kill a very useful idea. :** laughs out loud **:

Police contact is going to be complicated but, if we are to be effective in combating crime, essential. I guess a contact person in each area would be one way of doing it. Any volunteers? People do seem to has a phobia about talking to the police. Fortunately I have no probs with it as, due to my rather unPC hobbies, I have to deal with policemen fairly regularly. :** laughs out loud **: Unfortunately I can't volunteer yet due to time constraints. I'll think about it and have a chat to a pet policeman and see what he thinks.

Tim

PS Best things about this site - Spell-check and smiles ;)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lightnix

I often work just down the road from New Scotland Yard and was thinking of popping in there for advice later this week.

The biggest problem I can see is verifying reported sightings, particularly with respect to getting the reporter to trust us with their contact details ;) but I'd be very interested to know any other problems you foresee, please do drop me a PM with them sometime, if you don't want to post them here.

I think the safest way would be to insist that any reports of stolen kit have also been reported to the Police and that the crime reference number, along with details of which station it was reported to, are detailed alongside the equipment description.

Ok guys, two outlooks on this:

1) How much is it worth/retail at?

2) I know we want to help etc, but is it really up to us to tell the police etc......considering nobody has seen it to be stolen and suspicious though it is; this person may be just be getting rid of it due to space and things. I know we want to stop people steeling gear and stuff, but if we do not know its stolen and neither do we know who/what/where/why etc - should we really get involved?

Sorry if my opinion is a little traverse compared to you guys, but if this guy is simply just selling a bit of kit honestly, we may have totally the wrong end of the stick. And we could put this guy in a lot of un-necesary hassle and trouble for a mistake. Maybe I will appreciate this more when I know the value of the thing and the age.

Jim

Guest lightnix

Don't tell us - you've put a bid in, haven't you ;) :** laughs out loud **: :** laughs out loud **:

Retail: about £3k-ish ? (guess)

Nobody's suggesting telling the police about this one, it's just that the whole thing looks awfully suspicious for all the reasons described above.

I pushed harder for answers regarding previous owners / provenance and offered to raise the bidding to £750, if I got satisfactory answers. All I got was a single sentence, saying that he is the first owner. Maybe I'm being over suspicious, but I'd have been a lot happier if he'd also said "and I can provide original receipt with my name on it". He didn't, though.

EDIT:

Sorry if my opinion is a little traverse compared to you guys...
Click here for the definition of traverse.

Funny how both the ETC console and the sound console are both located in "london London" spelt the same with a small "L" at the beggining followed by a larger "L"

hmmm........

and both items are private user ID....

However I am not prepared to jump onto the band wagon of "this is fraud" otherwise anyone who wants to sell stuff on ebay will come under suspicion

It is usually easy to spot honest sellers (as the vast majority of Ebay users are). It's not as though a witch-hunt is developing thanks to this thread (and others). However there has a been a lot of fraud and people have lost money within the lighting & sound industry therefore I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to give a 'heads up' when something suspicious arises.

Archived