more eBay fraud

lx999

Right, this is getting a little over the top.  If you doubt the intention of the seller tell eBay.  I would suggest that some one let the police know that there seems to be a spate of these and someone may as well tell the chaps at the LSI and all the other regular publications to notify the local populations.

Ranting on here only warns a small group of people.  Why not contact the manufactures to contact the seller, that seemed to work with the ETC stuff, willing to bet that they will think twice now that ETC has questioned them before they try to auction again.  Well handled ETC, however what else would we expect from them.

Sorry but some of these posts just get too long!  Someone move this tread elsewhere I am sure it is greater than Lighting now and more use to a bigger group.  Apply some logic here!!

Adrian

Absolutely!

Even if we buy something in a shop we constantly run the risk of losing our money. A certain well known PC shop (sounds like...earth, planet) will try everything they can to not replace broken parts under warrenty. Their excuse is "if it's not broken when it leaves the shop then it isn't our responsibility" this could be said for a lot of items we purchase or hire. We could sit here for hours going through the number of items for sale on ebay, market stalls and even 'propper' shops. At the end of the day people are more than happy to take your money but as soon as it comes to giving it back then they are very reluctant to do so. We are currently battelling with a phone company (chemical symbol for oxygen) who decided to charge us double what we should be paying for six months and they are very reluctant to give us our money back - in fact OFTEL have gotten involved and the battle still goes on. What I'm trying to say, in a very long winded and confusing way - is that every purchase we make, no matter where or how much for we constantly run the risk of losing out. Even though, as consumers we have rights etc. very few of us actually know where we stand and back down at the slightest sign of confrontation. Buying on E-bay has its ups and downs... but nothing is 100% guarenteed... but that's the same anywhere. I've bought and sold on ebay and never had a problem. As Adrian says, there are people to get in touch with or just simply don't shop there... you won't buy your meat from a dodgey looking butcher or electronics from a dodgey backstreet stall... just because ebay is there it doesn't mean we have to buy from it.

If in doubt, simply, don't buy!

Steve

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right, this is getting a little over the top. If you doubt the intention of the seller tell eBay. I would suggest that some one let the police know that there seems to be a spate of these and someone may as well tell the chaps at the LSI and all the other regular publications to notify the local populations.

Ranting on here only warns a small group of people. Why not contact the manufactures to contact the seller, that seemed to work with the ETC stuff, willing to bet that they will think twice now that ETC has questioned them before they try to auction again. Well handled ETC, however what else would we expect from them.

Would be all very well, but what if it went horribly wrong.

I think we should refer to these as SUSPICIOUS items NOT stolen. None of us apart from Richard can actually tell if they are stolen, and none of us can prove it. If we start informing police (as good as the initial idea may be), if the sellers are innocent and get nasty, you could end up with some BIG problems.

Another possibility with the VL1k is that it (as Richard suggested that it could be US) is imported, this as US stuff is cheaper, means that they would be prepared to sell for less.

I also am unsure what the police would do with no proof.

VL1000 with no feedback. Any thoughts?

It's been removed by ebay!

On the subject of buying things in generally, you may have heard that quite a lot of people bought furniture from Courts, which then went bust before their goods were delivered. Those who didn't pay by credit card are in a tricky situation.

Unwillingness to complain is a rather British thing - we'd rather lose money than make a fuss.

Dave.

Ok, this is what I would pick up on after viewing the first two items (the third must have been dodgy, not there anymore).

Lets just hope the buyer got what they expected..

(ETC Lighting Desk)

Listed in category: Musical Instruments > Pro Audio/ Equipment > Other Pro Audio/ Equipment.

(Soundcraft Sound Desk)

Listed in category: Musical Instruments > Pro Audio/ Equipment > Mixers/ Mixer Accessories.

london, London - in both, (doesn't really mean much).

Seller's payment instructions

Please email me before bidding in order to make sure that you agree with the price and terms. Thanks and good luck !!! (obviously the same seller, otherwise thats one great coincidence).

If they don't use paypal, that means they are probably not wanting to be assured (its logicial you can get your money back on paypal.

User ID kept private (gives them the chance to bid up a little using another account - we already know they have one other).

£10.00 starting bid - same on each item (theres something).

Finally. it doesn't take much to work out each account has been created then 9 days later has sold an item..

If this is legit, why are they not using LEGIT payment methods (I bring up again)..

Fraud and phishing is high, quite a few fraudsters pickup on existing items, get some details then go ahead and try to sell an item they dont own. The strangest I heard of was somebody trying to sell a neighbours car..

Most probably know, but for the users of ebay that are in some ways a little 'inexperienced' go for the sellers with the highest positive feedback (even if it is another five or ten quid). Dont respond to any emails, if you get a mail asking for your ebay details - dont believe it. If ebay want to you to do so, the link in the address bar will be www.ebay.co.uk or www.ebay.com.

Anyway, il leave this one out - they are my views - the items have ended now..

** laughs out loud **

I think we could do with some Vl1ks - anyone know how much they retail at?

Jim, according to this post you do already have some VL1Ks and would therefore know how much they cost, right?

The company is called Entertainment Technical Solutions, they have some VL5s (on a contract thing), VL1000s, VL3000s - not that many, but a managable amount. And if we run out; we go about 3 miles away to Lighting Logistics - who again have a small stock of VLs.

Are you sure you're not Neil Scrivener?

We do not own any VL fixtures - we sub-hire them in.

Depending on quantities and prices we get them from whever offers the best deal......

We DID have some VLs on an LTC, but not any more.

Are you sure you're not Neil Scrivener?

Last time I checked I was James Saunders.......would you like me to scan in my birth certificate and passport :)

Guest lightnix
looks like 'saundersk5' has put in a bid - that wouldn't happen to be you jim would it?

Whoever 'saundersk5' is, he's doing quite a trade in new and used sound and AV kit, with a few lighting bits, cameras, mobile phones, sim cards on the side. Must be a nice little earner, although I'm not suggesting for a minute that any of it is hot. Based in Milton Keynes.

This all seems to have gone a bit off topic, here is an attempt to bring it back.

I spotted this this morning Desk I have requested info from seller however some things do not stack up, I will let you work them out but here is a clue $ :) .

That is an interesting one and does look a bit suspect. Let us know how you get on.

Well here is the reply to the question I'm based in London and would be willing to come around and pay cash and this is the reply I`m sorry but right now I`m not in the city ,to close this deal safe we will use Square Trade .Please e-mail me with your eBay id to close this deal

Ian

Archived