more eBay fraud

lx999

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something work checking I guess is the description.

A lot of the time people say (especially with theatre lighting) 'I do not know much about this item......', well unless they got it out of a skip or from the tip, why have they got it?

Also if the item description is a direct copy from the manufacturers website, and then the seller cannot answer technical questions, its likely to be 'suspicious'.

Well here is the reply to the question I'm based in London and would be willing to come around and pay cash and this is the reply I`m sorry but right now I`m not in the city ,to close this deal safe we will use Square Trade .Please e-mail me with your eBay id to close this deal

SquareTrade is a genuine service, but they have nothing to do with payment etc. Also the seller will have your ebay id anyway as it gets sent to them when you use the "ask seller a question" feature. I wonder if he's after your password.

Why not ask him for a phone number as you wish to ask him some questions. Also try to get the serial number to check with Midas.

It does look very dodgy to me!

Have seen quite a few Q Commanders on Ebay recently, all at about £100-£300, which considering they retail at over £1000 is quite odd really.

Is this just a random occurance, or does anyone have any suspicions about these items?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lightnix

I reckon that one of them is a bit dodgy-looking, but the other feels OK. I was going elaborate, but as said elsewhere in this thread: IT'S ALL GOSSIP & SPECULATION and it's really not doing anybody any good now.

Ebay might well have it's dodgy buyers and sellers, we all know that; it's history, not news. I've already made reference in another thread to a freelance conference noise boy, who was caught red handed about eighteen months ago by a hire company, flogging their kit on Ebay, which he had stolen in order to fund his "nasal habit". They spotted the kit, posed as interested buyers and arranged a meeting at his house to check it out. He has since begun a life sentence... of no work ever again, from anybody.

However, the vast majority of people who use Ebay are honest. The whole online auction thing has certainly moved way up market since it began, to the point where it is now being used being by many small businesses as a highly effective and very inexpensive marketing tool. An old colleague of mine uses Ebay to advertise his wares simply because doing so generates an extra 500 or so hits a month on his "real" website, even if he doesn't actually sell the items he's put up. I expect to be doing the same with my business, for precisely that reason and have just set up a personal sellers account to flog off a few old CDs, in order to get the hang of things before I involve the company (The Best of Soft Machine - The Harvest Years, anybody ? :huh: ).

Quite frankly if I was a first time Ebayer, who was honestly trying to broaden the (very small) market for my old equipment, I would be somewhat less than pleased if I found out that my auction had been pulled and / or my reputation damaged (libelled even), on account of a load of idle chit-chat by some bunch of spotty herberts (no disrespect) in some web forum or other. In fact I'd probably be logging in right now to complain very loudly indeed :P

To make it fair, maybe someone should send the sellers a message pointing them at this thread ? Surely if the kit is dodgy, it will be withdrawn voluntarily. If not, I'm certain we'll get to hear about it very soon ;)

A lot of professional lighting and sound kit is being sold perfectly legitimately on Ebay. In fact, I spotted Essential Lighting selling a dimmer rack just the other week.

Once again...

If you have suspicions, ask questions to lay them to rest (serial number, history, original invoice, etc.).

Check the information given with reliable third parties (manufacturers, hire companies, etc.)

If you are still suspicious, walk away.

If you are really suspicious, contact Ebay and / or the Police.

If you want to be a detective, join the Police.

If you want to meet the seller with money / a cheque in your pocket, don't go alone.

This thread was interesting and amusing when it started, now it's verging on the boring and repetitive :) :down: Please stop, unless you can back up speculation with actual facts.

I partially agree with the tall gentleman in the blue t-shirt, but as someone who buys on eBay (and has sold stuff too), I am very p'd off with people who try to take advantage of the seemingly endless number of credulous buyers.

Caveat Emptor (buyer beware) is the watchword for auctions, I agree it is boring to talk endlessly about it, I was just a bit shocked to find several likely scams on the go at once. We are, after all, talking about technology where the units are produced in the 10s - 100s, and it is dead easy to check up on provenance.

I've no interest in playing detective, but I don't see any harm in saying something might be worth being cautious about before you bid, and yes, I won an auction for four studio colors, and tried quite hard to pay for them and arrange for collection, only COD wouldn't do; all sorts of buy one get one free, try before you buy, just send us a little money, we'll send you a unit on appro, offers were made.

It is also true that there is plenty of legit gear on eBay, and maybe I'll sell you some, or I'll buy some of yours, but if I'm selling something I'll be as explicit about it as possible, knowing that there's a thousand pedants to every purchaser.

I've no axe to grind, no products to sell...

So, before I get flamed (or gently toasted) I'm bailing out of this argument/discussion, but remember: be careful out there.

PS if you think this discussion has been flogged to death, check out the great cable tie debate.

Archived