Le Maitre Pro Stage Two and Six Way

mattevans

Yes.. all things are possible.. Depends on how often you want to change the batteries. Powering a relay from PP3's is not really a practical proposition. The units were designed to be as efficient as possible.

You can't always rely on relay contacts. It is wise not too.

There are numerous safety aspects which can raised about many firing devices, but in the end it all boils down to one thing for which there is no substitute.

how about adding a relay to the unit that shorts the outputs together when the power is removed?,

I don't think you understand, There is nothing wrong with the unit. It is not dangerous, there is no design fault. If there was a mistake it was us mistakenly omitting the information from the instructions.

There is no need to add a relay - it wouldn't work. As I was trying to explain in my first post, if the cap is shorted when the key switch is switched off, when you arm the unit, you would need to wait 10-15 seconds before the cap is recharged enough to fire the maximum amount of igniters (16). Most people only turn the key 1-3 seconds before firing - not enough time to charge the cap. The units are designed to be "Always Ready" to fire the effects.

I hope that (with Dave's comments) explains our position, we have taken the comments onboard and have decided that a note is placed in the instruction manual. When the wording is agreed, it will be added to all new units leaving us and on the copy posted on the web.

Mark

I think that I agree with Mark - if Le Maitre changed the design to make it "safer" then we would all complain that the unit didn't work the way we expected and pyro cues were 10 seconds late whilst the cap charges!

You cannot please all the technicians all of the time!!!

My safety technique is to remove the key and hang it on a nice lanyard round my neck.... and load the pyros at the latest possible time. Seems to work for me.

(But a note in the manual is a good idea - which Le Maitre are obviously going to do when they sort out the wording)

I dont see the problem with this at all, and would worry that the original post is likely to add concern were concern is not needed...

the key switch is the saftey feature, power or no power you dont turn that key unless you are prepared to fire, to turn it with no intention of firing something is stupid and careless...

Dont want to fire something? DONT TURN THE KEY!!!

• 1 month later...

Just some further info relating to this matter.

Please note that these are personal views and do not necessarily represent those of Le Maitre Ltd.

I note that the result of this discussion is that the ABTT now *assume* a device recall.

I *assume* this is related to an *interpretation* that the device is *dangerous* and can, under *certain circumstances* freely fire off attached pyrotechnic devices. This cannot happen.

This was based on an *assumption* that a device would be made safe by the removal of its energy source.

Lots of assumptions here. If any one thing can be considered *dangerous* it is making an assumption where a doubt factor could exist. This seems to have got lost and sadly does not appear to have any importance at all.

Some 20 years ago I designed the C3D, and specifically stated clearly, even in the literature of those days, that should any doubt prevail, then simply *don't*.

If the wherewithal does not exist to arrive at a factual and satisfactory conclusion about a matter which involves safety risks then one of the following paths could be taken.

Ask someone who definitely knows.

Test the conditions in a safe and professionally conducted manner.

Abandon it.

Relating to the devices in question, which were not designed by me, I have devised a simple discharge circuit that comes into play when the power source is removed. It obviously consumes continuous power, minimised to some 180uA, and will require there to be a recharge time when the power source is reconnected.

How, when, and if this is implemented is not my domain.

In any regard, my advice to anyone with any form of electrical/electronic pyro ignition device is to assume that under the conditions of ' Armed - Selected - Fire'

or 'Testing', that an ignition could occur. That's one *assumption* that should be made and could well prevent any mishap.

All such devices should be regularly checked and serviced and kept away from 'my friend the electronics engineer'.

As a further observation, I note that reference to the 'current' level required to fire fuse heads is often quoted as 500mA. Hmmmm. Under *certain conditions* this could lead to false fire conditions, leaving unignited devices around, and possibly delayed ignition.

If it would be of interest I could expand on this and provide further detail, perhaps under a designated topic description.

I do hope my ramblings on the subject portray at least a little of the amount of concern I have about pyrotechnic safety issues and the electronic environment, and the respect I have for those professionals within the industry.

Dave R

Archived