How do you make yours?

audio

I have just been making four y splitters for XLRs, as in the radio station we run people's I-pods in a stereo channel, but as a mono source..... and I was just wondering how people make their splitters?

I have a real problem getting two microphone cables (approx 5mm diameter each) into one XLR plug..... and was wondering what solutions others have found to this?

Cheers

John ;)

CPC sell them ready-made (1M<>2F or 2M<>1F) for just over a fiver. Page 132 of the current catalogue. Uses 4mm cable. Looks like they're made by DAP. So it's not Neutriks, but what do you expect for a fiver!

Having said that, I made up a few recently, using "normal" 6mm mic cable and cheapie XLRs. Didn't have too much trouble getting the cable in.

Bruce.

I have a real problem getting two microphone cables (approx 5mm diameter each) into one XLR plug..... and was wondering what solutions others have found to this?

It's not normally a problem with decent Neutrik XLRs. I usually heatshrink any cables together if there are more than one going into one plug as it provides some strain relief (and would probably make it easier to get them into smaller diameter entries).

Hrm, suppose thinner cables sounds sensible ;) . I will give the whole lubrication thing a go tomorrow to make the two more required (stereo outputs from desk - mono multicore input and DJ mixer outputs - mono input on compressor).

You're running a stereo I-pod as a mono source into a stereo channel? Not quite sure why?

As a student radio, the funding isn't available for a stereo transmitter ;) , so a mono output is used. Ideally, I'd like to run in stereo as far as the audio processor, but as the multicore to the rack is a bit short of channels, its being set up to use mono.

The I-pod/whatever is plugged in goes into a stereo channel in mono just because it means the splitters are all to the same design, meaning they are all inter-changable in the case of breakage somewhere, leading to a hasty re-patching job.... a common occurence ;)

Thanks to all for the advice,

As always, very useful ;)

Every XLR Y cord I've seen has been made from "FST" type cable - typically 3mm diameter, foil screened. You could alternatively use regular mic cable and have a split outside the connector, protected with adhesive heat-shrink.

If you are going from an ipod, which surely has a 3.5mm jack, why do you need to split at all? You say you are going into a stereo channel, why? Combine the stereo into mono in a jack plug & go straight into the line input. Attenuate with a pad if you need too.

Or am I missing something?

Ahh, I see now.

What I have done its to take a very small 2core & screen from the 3.5, into the LH XLR and then out to the RH XLR. The last cable I got was from MPS, only 2-3mm or so in diameter, so no problem getting 2 bits into any XLR.

Archived