New Hazer machine

paulears

Paul, I assume you have used the Neutron hazer at some point. I have two and they work very well. The newer one seems to have more output. I have used on my size of stage which is about 8x8m by 4m high. It might not be man enough for a larger stage

The QTX is good, but after a month of 8 hour days, mine decided to go belly up. The traic for the Pump failed short circuit so it always pumped fluid even when the heater was cold. Spoke to the distributor and apparently it's a common fault.

Josh

Thanks Nick - yep, the neutron was quite good in a small enclosed space, but it can't quite keep up in the theatre because we have a natural internal driftage problem - as in wind outside and the walls leak! hazers have to be mobile to suit the prevailing wind, but this doesn't seem to matter to some of the music acts who bring in theirs, they just cope. I just didn't pay too much attention to what they were!

• 4 months later...

I decided DMX wasn't required, and between Neutron and MVS this would save a bit so I decided to buy a Neutron - then one popped up on ebay, in a flightcase for £250. It was really good. Exactly what was needed and I was happy (for three weeks) then it would start working and then the haze would stop. Even worse, I needed it urgently - so I figured I would repair the old one at my leisure and then sell it, keeping the flightcase and buy a new one. The new one arrived promptly (thanks to Mr Need) and is great.

There are a few differences that might help others in the same position. Le Maitre have upped the output, and detail this in the note in the box - even going to the detail of printing the new output, in terms of cc's over time - and they advise users to adjust any fluid requirements to suit. In use (compared with the original) the difference is that on startup the density of output is higher - so it fills the space quicker. Hang time is the same, you just get there quicker - and for me this means I can't leave it running - so over a couple of shows I've worked out the best way is to move the hazer away from the stage a little, allowing the output to go up, and out - so the dense cloud can't be seen as it starts.

I'm very pleased with it. As I mentioned, I didn't expect to need the remote - which I now do, so I simply used the XLR 3pin to use a tie-line to the back and made up a box with a switch to turn it on and off when needed.

Internally, compared to the old one I bought, there is now a small 'gauze' gadget in the heating tube, which is meant to disperse the output a little - this means a different cleaning technique with the abrasor - (not that I could actually find it in the box - despite the tick sheet saying it was there. I must have lost it on opening - damn! ). It also has the feed tube split just before the heating tube with another pipe going to a little plastic box. Don't know what this does, but there wasn't one in the old one!

So - if you buy one, be aware the new ones (this is dated 17/4/12 inside) are really a mk2 version.

Hi,

I have fairly recently bought a Base Hazer, and im really pleased with it!

I decided to buy it after using one on a few different shows and then seeing it was on offer with usedlighting (which it still is!). Gives a nice haze and can fill a large space (ive been using it in a hall about 20m x 10m that has very aggresive ventilation and have never had to take it oer 60% otherwise it would be difficult to see what was going on!

This is also one of PRG's hazers (along with the unique) that they hire out so I see that as a sign they are reliable. And I know you said that fluid consumption doesnt matter to you but I also find it very economical (over 4 weeks of tech and shows ive gone through 5 litres which costs about £40?)

if theres any more specific questions let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

Another +1 for the MVS

The menu system on them is frankly rubbish and there is no bottle carriers, but in terms of output to fluid usage I don't know anything better. I would pick one over a unique 1/2 any day.

Archived