Gel and safety floods

Ketil B

The general accepted way seems to be making an envelope of gel to enclose the front of the flood with. As for attaching it, Gaffa tape sems to be used quite often but I see you want a reliable way. The only truely reliable way would be to get a dichroic sheet cut to the same size as the glass in the flood, and replace the clear with coloured. This is obviously quite pricey, but does have a permenance that Gel doesn't - ideal for architectural situations.

Hi all

Do any of you know a relabel way of attaching gel to on of these floods

http://img-europe.electrocomponents.com/images/C566033-02.jpg

Ketil

Bulldog Clips, as in the paper clipping variety,.

http://img.euroffice.co.uk/euro_img/full/038062.jpg

The front clear glass is toughened safety glass that you dont want to change for anything, remove or try and stick anything to.

Dichro in big bits is expensive and has the color fringing effect, colour changes with angle, which is nice if its what you want , pest if not. White light do stained glass for use as architectural colour filter for this reason. But leave the safety glass in whatever.

I am going to use them as footlights for a band night. My thinking was to sandwige the gel between the glass and glass mounts at the front of the frame. But there will not be any air between the glass and the gel, so it might melt.

Ketil

I am going to use them as footlights for a band night. My thinking was to sandwige the gel between the glass and glass mounts at the front of the frame. But there will not be any air between the glass and the gel, so it might melt.

Ketil

Whatever method of fixing you use you'll almost certainly need to make the gel into a 'D' to stop it from melting. (where the flat side of the D is the glass)

Prittstick ** laughs out loud **?

If its permanent; as Peter suggests, then use a glue gun, wack glue round the rim, then add your nicely cut gel.

I know of someone who managed to take the glass out, painted it - and had a set of plastic/glass whatever it is of different colours.

Don't know what paint - I should think an industrial type, I can ask him?

ketil that is going to melt so fast

the only way to make it last a night depending on the colour is to make sure the glass isn't touching the gell

gaffer works ok but can leave a nasty residue but for footlights is probably best as clips can get knocked off

here we go again.....

At the risk of repeating myself, from this thread where almost the same thing was discussed just 4 weeks ago....

Security floods are not meant to be used indoors; it says so on the instructions that no-one ever reads. They are totally sealed and run at a higher temperature than is allowed for indoor fittings, increasing the risk of fire.

If you can get yourself some old Strand Pat. 223 frames, they work well bent into a "D" shape as tomlyall suggested - put the gel in the frame and bend it to fit. We used to use blackwrap to mask the open sides of the frame, or I guess you could put colour there too.

I have heard of people painting the glass to the desired colour before, ok your not going to get that nice shade of L071 or #349 (for instance) but if you use some of the Rosco paints you might get a close enough shade suitable for 'rock 'n roll'.

And if you are going to bulldog clip the gel on, make sure there is a big enough gap between the glass and gel as not to let it melt on contact with the glass. I've also heard of people using a pastry cutter or similar (anyone remember what they are called?) to prick tiny holes into the gel to improve the airflow and then therefore the temperature. Small enough holes not to let the light through, but at least allows improved air cooling.

Might also be worth thinking about using Rosco Supergel or GAM which lasts longer and keeps it's colour longer under intense heat than Lee (other than their HT series).

Anyway hope this helps.

Stu

I've also heard of people using a pastry cutter or similar (anyone remember what they are called?) to prick tiny holes into the gel to improve the airflow and then therefore the temperature.

That'll be a 'ponce' or 'pounce' wheel.

Archived