Audiohead Amps. any views, opinions?

inanimateman

Had half a dozen Peavey 2600's in a nightclub install for over two years, no problems at all - sounds fine, and despite the almost continuous overdriving and abuse have not yet missed a beat. Open and short protection is brilliant - powered up and down by mains switch for entire rack. I'd recommend them to anyone.

These days I'd just go for the Behringer EP2500 - it's now only GBP 209 from Thomann for goodness sake! Thought it was a bargain at GBP 290, but this takes the biscuit.

I wouldn't bother considering the EP1500 as it's only GBP 40 less and you have to remember that the true RMS figure of these amps is rather less than the 2500/1500 designations would lead you to believe. And more power is always better than less.

In fact, I don't think I've ever tied down *exactly* what Behringer's power ratings are actually based on. Which would always make me expect that they're using the most flattering figures they can.

A PowerSoft Digam 4 x 2kW in 1U would still be lovely, and hugely transportable, but not worth GBP 2k to me. Fine for pros, but for we amateurs Behringer has some kicking stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
Had half a dozen Peavey 2600's in a nightclub install for over two years, no problems at all - sounds fine, and despite the almost continuous overdriving and abuse have not yet missed a beat. Open and short protection is brilliant - powered up and down by mains switch for entire rack. I'd recommend them to anyone.

I'm getting a bogged down a bit now, so many choices. I've been to price up the Peavey kit, and in my price range I just about get 2 x UL15's (mid tops), 2 x UL115(subs), and a single PV2600. (£1,600-ish)

Note ... this would be an initial set-up until we can afford to bi-amp.

Do you know much about passive cross-overs at all? Until I can bi-amp I'd be running the 2600 into the 4ohm subs and tops (linked together). They're 500W rms each, 1000W program (and impeadance matched so the amp see's 4 ohms / channel), if the amp delivers 900W per channel into 4 ohms. How thirsty is the passive cross-over?

From what I've read in the past, it is quite likely that the subs will steal most of the power outputted from the amp, and then the tops don't get enough so the result is a very muddy sound.

Not a good situation

With this in mind I'd seriously advise against it.

Otherwise, I'd just advise you from going near peavey altogether, just because it's them!

But that's my view.

From what I've read in the past, it is quite likely that the subs will steal most of the power outputted from the amp, and then the tops don't get enough so the result is a very muddy sound.

Not a good situation

With this in mind I'd seriously advise against it.

Otherwise, I'd just advise you from going near peavey altogether, just because it's them!

But that's my view.

Thanks for the advice, the weekends here again so I'll do the tour around the dealers and listen to some of the kit suggested.

Archived