De-mountable staging

c.cam108

One problem I have come across with Revo-type staging is people mangling the hex bolts that are used to link the decks together. That may have been down to user stupidity, but does prove that they are not bomb-proof. I'd be a little bit worried about them if they were in a church situation being used by all-comers.

• 1 month later...

In 2010 we ran our fourth music festival and we supplied a 30cm high and 4m x 5m Intellistage with backdrop.

The stage and all the components were delivered by the supplier direct to the site, a muddy airfield. The stage was assembled very quickly using three people. The only problem we encountered was unpacking all the components from the boxes, and there were lots and lots. After the festival we packed it all up again until 2011.

In 2011 we increased the Intellistage stage size to a main stage of 6m x 6m and also had smaller stage of 3m x 2m. Both stages had separate 2m x 2m drum risers and there were ancillary small units for moving head lights and the lighting desk. The suppliers of Intellistage very kindly swapped out the 30cm height risers for 40cm and this proved much a better height for the 10 bands. ( Thanks Kerry Davies for the help with the stage management in 2011 )

In all there are 56 1m x 1m stage decks and 28 leg units. Again the stage was set up very quickly by four people in about an hour.( two to carry the components in, one to position them and one to tighten up the Hex nuts ) The size of the stage units was determined by their weight and the larger 2m x 1m tops are really a bit too heavy for one person, even though having that size would really speed up the stage build.

Again the main problem was unpacking all the cardboard boxes. In future we should really put everything in flightcases, but they are expensive and add the weight of the equipment, but that might allow us to hire it our during the year.

The only pain was to our knees, as each stage unit has four hex bolts which have to be done up whilst kneeling. There are plenty of Allen keys provided with the units, but after doing up lots of the bolts they hurt your hands, even though they are covered in a rubber cover and we wore gloves ( really quite necessary as the aluminium joint edges can be a bit sharp sometimes). It would be much better to invest in some Tbar hex keys and I see that units supplied by Revostage have a Tbar hex Key.

So my question is

Are Intellistage, Revostage and Spider stages interchangeable as they look very similar. So can I use the Hex Key from Revostage for the Intellistage ( the size is not mentioned anywhere although it is probably 5mm ) (http://new.panelsystems.co.uk/newsc/index.pl?c=revostageparts&p=307&a=I )and the legs from one with the platform from another.? Also no one seems to sell individual Tbar Hex keys as they seem to include different size sets, which I don't need.

Revostage uses 5mm Hex and I just use a standard allen key or leatherman bit. No special tools needed.

I'm not sure about the interchangeability however, I know revostage uses a quater-turn locking system for the legs. I've come across another similar system that uses screw top locking and wouldn't therefore be compatible.

I personally wouldn't want to use a system unless it was as the manufacturer stipulates. As such, I wouldn't want to use a hybrid system even if it did work and was completely stable.

Josh

Archived