Blackmagic Hyperdeck Studio

Tim gregory

I understand your position - however for me the Samurai and similar have the features I need now. The Hyperdeck is not ready yet - lack of variable bit rates and codecs. To be fair neither unit is very expensive so it is changeable later. I agree if the Hyperdeck gets proper control from the ATEM and variable bit rates and as such can record to HDD's then it works for me. Avid Codecs were included on the Samurais delivered to us this week FOC.

But - as we have said before - its whatever fits best for you

I have a few reservations about the black Magic Kit that have come about by seeing a client struggle with the ATEM, and other feed back on some of their other hardware:

1) Video Hub Routers don't actually support vertical interval switching despite claims they do - for me could be a sticking point in building up our PPU of we went with them

2) Unable to turn off the frame synchronisers on the ATEM, so even with genlocked cameras, you'll have to have that processing delay in the system

3) mini convertors that exhibit 4 frames of delay despite a claimed two, so again, possibly giving a poor result in live situations

Obviously for some non live uses these issues aren't, well issues, but for the majority of our work, where live relay is the aim, then minimising the processing delay is key. And ultimately it is a case of buyer beware, but then buyer can't be aware until they've purchased and discovered these issues.

The Hyperdecks do look great as an alternative to the likes of KiPros, but I'd be nervous of investing to then be bitten.

Tom your input is eagerly anticipated!

Hi Pete

I don't know about the Videohub. I do know that many people misunderstand VI switching and believe it to be glitchless in non-synchronous systems. Obviously VI switching can actually only happen if all the inputs are synchronised by reference sync. (Pete, I'm not accusing you of this misunderstanding, simply pointing out that criticisms read on the web cannot all be taken at face value)

I'm not sure about the ATEM framesync either. I know there is no control for them currently exposed in the software, I don't know if this is a feature which is yet to be activated or if they are doing some kind auto-detect based on alignment with the genlock input? I will try to find out about this functionality as it is also of importance to me. (My echolab ATEM has switchable framesyncs, but other than a similar looking control panel it is a very different machine to the BMD ones, though possibly offers a glimpse of what they are moving towards with their incarnation of the switchers)

I don't have any mini converters either, though I have heard criticism of the processing speed of the updowncross converter.

One thing I would say is the BMD are new to live production, all of the pre-atem gear was designed with post production / facilities houses in mind rather than live production environments. Blackmagic are very responsive to users input, with people right at the top of the company taking a personal interest in the ways the products are, or could be used in environments which may not be at the core of their experience. They roll out updates fast and frequently add functions at the request of users (compressed recording on the hyperdeck is a case in point, when they designed the initial units there was no plan for compression, but it was added quickly due to users requests). Maybe this is a little chaotic compared to the slow release cycle of bigger companies, but the low price point of the gear goes a long way to make up for the unusual approach to release cycles.

I would always recommend people try before they buy with any significant purchase especially when gear is fairly new on the market. The problem of functionality differing from the published spec or simply working in a way which was not anticipated is true with many companies (not just Blackmagic) I've seen this with gear costing £100K as well as products going for a couple of hundred quid (not mentioning any names, but think of an arachnid times twenty!!)

• 3 weeks later...

well I've been able to record DNxHD onto 7200rpm spinning disks.

Tom,

I have now got the Hyperdeck and have done some initial testing with an old 7200rpm spinning disk.

So far I have been able to playback from the disk with no problems.

Recording works for a short time and then the record light flashes fast and the recording from this point on is very jerky.

I guess that the drive I am using is not keeping up and dropping frames.

Could you confirm what drive you tested with so I can compare spec's?

I am considering purchasing either a 720gb/500gb WD Scorpio Black or Seagate Momentus and do some further tests.

Thanks,

Tim

Archived