JC Superstar

Andrew C

No? Good; then I'll continue...

Just been to see it again, with daughter this time. Last saw it in '78 or so with her mother.

I can't say I was hugely impressed with a ALW show that I actually like. Lighting is distracting, but not as much as the bl00dy hazers squirting fog in at head height from both sides of the set. A lot of the time. :)

Sound had a "mechanical" sound to it. Can't place what was wrong, but certain numbers were over reverbed.

And the whole show just lacked something; tired maybe? It certainly didn't move me like the old one, although some of the punters got up to clap (Pavlov's dogs syndrome?)

Any one else? I know someone posted a similar comment some time ago about West End shows, but darned if I can find it.

I don't work it, but I know a few people who do, we had it here recently, and for quite some time, so I got to know most of the company.

I agree about the hazers, they do get a little distracting, but I personally really liked the very directional overhead smoke which they used. I actually spent alot of time with the current no1 sound, and can't quite figure what you mean by mechanical sounding, but do know that his hands are quite tightly tied by the sound designer in relation to certain issues with the sound, but won't say too much, except, and for those who know me know this is true, as do the company, I actually nodded off during the first half of the show, something I attributed to, by the time I saw it, my having heard it for a month, and the stuffy nature of our venue when full.

I personally was not distracted by the lighting, but then again, by the time I saw it from the front I was rather familiar with the show.

Don't forget, I, and I am sure many others here find this, find it hard to watch a show without spotting all the little things a normal patron would not notice, like haze, distracting lighting, mechanical sound, too much effect. It is a very, very good show that can draw me into the storyline and plot of the show, instead of my watching the lights, listening very carefully, trying to spot silly little bits the people you watch with hadn't noticed.

But the clouds of haze weren't that good, except in the herod scene, where they were (almost) in my opinion, in context...

Sound had a "mechanical" sound to it.  Can't place what was wrong, but certain numbers were over reverbed.

The music is all played of 8 keyboards I believe. Maybe this is why it sounded mechanical. I saw it fairly recently and must admit the brass section didn't sound great (due to being on keyboards).

The music is all played of 8 keyboards I believe.  Maybe this is why it sounded mechanical.  I saw it fairly recently and must admit the brass section didn't sound great (due to being on keyboards).

when we did it last Easter band consisted of:

3 Keyboards

2 Guitars

Bass

Reed (flute/Tenor Sax)

Trumpet

Horn

Drums

Percussion

which is the standard touring band

It is not all played from 8 keys, there are guitars (plural) and a bass down there, but the sound designer or director has insisted on a silent pit, hence even the drum kit is just V-Drums, the only 'real' sounds are from the guitar and bass on the current tour. I cannot remember the actual numbers involved in the pit, but that could be the mechanical sound you mentioned.

It is not all played from 8 keys, there are guitars (plural) and a bass down there, but the sound designer or director has insisted on a silent pit, hence even the drum kit is just V-Drums, the only 'real' sounds are from the guitar and bass on the current tour.  I cannot remember the actual numbers involved in the pit, but that could be the mechanical sound you mentioned.

Sorry I apologise! (Tho it was a member of the touring crew that told us that :) )

Maybe we got our wires crossed somewhere ;)

Could well be. I'm struggling for a different way to describe it (bit like wine, gooseberry with arsenic overtones and all that). It was just somewhat unnatural, which may be that the sound wasn't coming from where it should have been.... Don't know. :)

Anyway, daughter thoroughly enjoyed it. Haven't taught her to look at the lights, yet, but she's leaning towards the theatre in some form.

Haven't taught her to look at the lights, yet, but she's leaning towards the theatre in some form.

Carefull she may fall over :)

Being in this industry really messes up theatre for yourself.

I cant watch anything without looking at the lights, and being critical of sound.

Archived