Hands only CPR

paulears

Sorry Andrew, I wasn't attacking your post.

I have to be careful here, but can I just point out that the OP is about what to do in a "Cardiac Arrest..."

Just to make absolutely clear, a "Cardiac Arrest" is not a "Heart Attack", at least not as the First Aid Manual means it.

"Heart attack" is a lay term that is commonly used to encompass a whole host of different conditions.

The First Aid Manual means a "Myocardial Infarction", which is a blocked coronary artery. A "Cardiac Arrest" is essentially when the heart stops beating.

The two are not necessarily linked, so can we just be clear that the discussion is now no longer about the management of a cardiac arrest?

As far as the "Good Samaritan Law" discussion, kalmatthew almost has it except that you may be surprised that Healthcare professionals have no legal responsibility to offer help either, but once anyone does offer help (first aiders included), they have a duty of care to the patient thereafter, until such a time that the patient is handed over to a suitable individual.

The common law you mentioned mainly involve the Bolam and Bolitho cases, which would make an interesting read to anyone interested. They are essentially about how to determine negligence in medical cases, and I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be applied in a first aid situation.

Hope that is helpfull... :)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No worries Matt(_beal). This is why I like TBR. There's always someone with more knowledge and I am more than happy to be corrected.

I work on the principal that QI only scratches at the surface of what is widely believed to be fact and what in reality is actual fact.

I understand that you may be in a position that could expose you to potential problems. My paramedic brother is considering deleting his FB account in case a third party posts something that could be misinterpreted.

Of course as a rational, logical and trained (all be it rudimentary) person I would not give aspirin to an unconscious patient. The OP started in the public domain and has migrated into FaW which are 2 different arenas.

I also heartily agree that there are a wide range of heart conditions which in many respects is why administering anything should be left to the professionals.

Thanks heavens that the days of just picking you up and putting you in the back of a van have long gone.

Interesting point re Aspirin - my FAW certificate is still valid (just) and doesn't mention it at all.

also, it is interesting to note that in non of our Hospital protocols does it mention that patients may have received the Aspirin before arrival at hospital. Even A&E staff were unaware of this part of the First Aid training. Thus since people often forget to tell Paramedic crews what they have done with the patient, who may themselevs not remember, it does run the risk of double dosing.

Archived