Olympic Acomodation

AndyJones

Having been on hol to Sydney just after the Olympics there, (and I;d love our Australian colleagues to tell me of this is wrong) there seemed to be an air that offices etc had adjusted working hours, had people working at home, or afternoon off for the games, and in short they;d made the games the focus of city life for a fortnight - school holidays; public sectpr workers drafted in to help run Olympics etc.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so a council tax payer,who pays for a residents parking permit cant park ,and unless your a free-loader with your tax exempt limo you cant use the whole road all becuase of some tin pot sports day

Spot on.

Cynical, Brian? I think not, the sponsorship of the paralympics by ATOS, now that IS cynical.

http://victimsofatos...rship-of-games/

I'm not sure cynical is strong enough. I'm not sure absolutely disgusting is strong enough.

there seemed to be an air that offices etc had adjusted working hours, had people working at home, or afternoon off for the games,

And in the uk were told ere go to the pub,great,imagine the reaction from your boss when you stagger into work 4 hours late with a kingsize hangover,sorry boss the goverbent told me to do it

And lets not forget it not just London that's going to get affected but other venues around the UK too such as weymouth for the sailing...

I live in London but also make regular trips to Bournemouth so I reckon I'm going to get hit with a double whammy up and down the M3.

Oh joy! I can just see my blog article now...

Feel real sorry for all the negativity about the Olympics on here. This event plus the jubillee is the biggest thing to hit our industry in years and will not be this good for a long time to come. It's not just the ceremonies but all the venues have techs and kit, the major fan sites with huge concerts, broadcast techs supporting all the worlds tv companies, each country has an entertainment venue, the torch relay tour, the huge permanent installs for the venues, the BBCs additonal broadcasts plus let's not forget the cultural Olympiad and festival 2012.

That is a huge amount of work for our industry and those that poo poo it because they are misquoting what they have read in the sensationalist press are missing the point. This is the greatest year to be a UK tech, it won't happen again in our lifetime. Grab the opportunity or you will regret it... It's too easy to be negative.

Grab the opportunity or you will regret it..

only thing I'll be grabbing is my tent as I head to the hills away from it all.The only legacy will be a bloody big bill that the tax payer will have to pick up.Im sure the £9.3 billion(national audit office) could be put to a better use

I live 100 miles from Stratford - and it's costing Suffolk Constabulary £350,000 bill to police Olympic-related events in the county. Which seems to be as far as I can see, a runner carrying a flambeaux torch. I wonder if his thumb slips off the knob makes it go out like theatre ones?

The crazy thing is we've actually had lots of foreign teams here at a gymnastics centre - 'preparing'? Weird!

Speaking to many companies and fellow exhibitors at the Event Production Show over the last few days, and other well known and reputable rental companies, freelance and Project/Production Managers, we have yet to see this mythical Olympic work appear. Lots of quotes but no actual orders yet...

I'm all in favour of us having them - it's a shame that we can't take a more 'Austrailian' attitude to it. And yes I am hoping that we'll be able to use it to our advantage, but so far, it's the same work as last year in the diary.

I'm all in favour of us having them - it's a shame that we can't take a more 'Austrailian' attitude to it. And yes I am hoping that we'll be able to use it to our advantage, but so far, it's the same work as last year in the diary.

Just wondering what is this Australian attitude you speak of?

Just wondering what is this Australian attitude you speak of?

We kept most of the work in-house as it were - since then though, I believe a large portion of the Aussie production team has been doing each olympics since. Not sure about how many are heading over this year, but I know at least a couple of companies who are heading over there to assist with the UK games (and by extension shipping a portion of their inventory with them).

"Don't guess folks.

As Ben says the companies with heads screwed on have already arranged transport and accommodation.."

FWIW I am in the process of sorting out a job on the olympics, my (potential) employer has told me that all accommodation and transport has been sorted out already, largely because it would take too long to get in from the outside and nobody can risk missing a call. This was a conversation we had back in December, and I was one of the last onboard.

"Speaking to many companies and fellow exhibitors at the Event Production Show over the last few days, and other well known and reputable rental companies, freelance and Project/Production Managers, we have yet to see this mythical Olympic work appear."

This doesn't really surprise me as I know one (of the many) production managers (not mine) who doesn't start till Monday, that is for the ceremonies mind you (although I didn't speak to him about their accom). However, many started last year..

So I would concur, if you have a specific role accom will probably be sorted already, if you are speculating for work, (and there is no reason to think there won't be events in the surrounding areas once the corporates and sponsors decide what to do) you may not have to brave the security as, one would hope, there will be plenty going on around London.

Probably not that helpful, but thats what I know so far..

Good luck !

In relation to the Op's original post, there was an article on the front page of this mornings Metro that rogue landlords are kicking both long term and short term tennants out of their properties for the duration of the games so as to entice others with larger wads of cash to stay there instead. "Alledgedly", some properties are going for upto £7500 per WEEK whilst the fun and Games are on. :blink:

I wouldn't get your hopes up about moving in near the Olympic site, the rent prices are going to be through the roof.

I have a lot of friends in Stratford / Hackney / Bow etc and they're all booked for holidays during the Olympics, and renting their houses out to visitors and contractors alike. A lot of them are already booked up, getting in excess of £3000pw for a 3 bedroom terraced house. It's absurd! (Yes subletting not usually endorsed by landlords but difficult to enforce).

I am going to commute in every day as I have been doing so far (been working on Olympic site over 6 months now), it only takes 2 hours and there's none of the expense or hassle involved withliving nearby.

Archived