Olympic Acomodation

AndyJones

Just received an email press release from the Events Industry Forum, unfortunately can't linky as it is not on a website.

It is basically saying that the 26 member organisations have found that many events and ancillary events have yet to contract for goods and services hire and that it is getting very late. Not to assume that equipment or staff would be available and to ensure they book with member companies with at least one years membership and good RA procedures.

So it seems the amount of business forecast by LOCOG has yet to be produced. My own feelings are that many Local Authority sponsored events will be last minute orders after the April budget has been sorted which means a very short lead-time and downward pressure on costs.

In shorthand they are saying beware of dodgy production companies and use our members and I am saying beware of dodgy promoters with little money and big promises.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's at least one company here in Vancouver that has been on life support following a non-paying Olympic contract. Even our contract tried to stiff us - (they offered our staff meals, and then turned around at the end of the period and demanded $150 per plate from us..) without sucess, thankfully.

What I'm saying is: don't let the big money fool you into extending credit that you wouldn't normally extend, folks.

I very firmly plan to service our existing clients first and foremost - they'll hopefully still be there in 2013, where as the Olympics won't be. I think that even come April that might be too late for some resources.

I know of several companies that are tightening their accounts policies for the Olympic period - where previously they might have confirmed on a P.O., they are now asking for a large chunk up front to stop people booking resources on P.O. then backing out.

I very firmly plan to service our existing clients first and foremost - they'll hopefully still be there in 2013, where as the Olympics won't be.

Pete has firmly hit the nail on the head there, a fact some companies seem to be forgetting.

I've just this week picked up a contract for one of the big olympic events because the original project has been majorly scaled back (but not publicly) after the multi-million-pound corporate sponsorship never materialised so the original expensive "big name" design team with their big expensive designs have been quietly retired as the original project never got off the ground. From speaking to the subcontractors I get the feeling there's a lot of other projects in a similar position and so it's only going to be over the next few weeks that projects are rescaled and finalised (with orders finally being placed for crew and resources) .... fingers crossed

The whole business is starting to remind me very much of other previous national events which kind of went plop in industry terms. Who here remembers the great solar eclipse fiasco? 1999 was it? the doom mungers literally talked it into the ground, licence requirements were so unreasonable and negative publicity before hand actually worked too well at keeping people away, many suppliers took a big hit.

Millennium eve, everyone expected a big pay day and the world was going to stop spinning. Some people did well but a lot of the major suppliers capped fees at triple rate and my pc fired up just as normal the next day.

As ever Mr Davis has summed it well, if your offered a Olympics related job probably your first question should be about accommodation/travel, there is already talk of the hotels trying to profiteer from the games. I can't really comment about the situation for suppliers but again caution would seem to be a good policy.

Archived