Colours that make you go 'oooooo nice'

northern-monkey

I like the UV effect you get when you use lots of 181 Congo.

;)

Ah, yes - The unofficial Blue Room Membership Card is still an offcut of Congo Blue...

Andrew, best keep that one to ourselves - Some people won't get the joke... Or are you just waiting for the sparks to fly?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Andrew, best keep that one to ourselves - Some people won't get the joke... Or are you just waiting for the sparks to fly?

Do you mean who I think you mean? If so, sssssh! Don't even mention his name! ;)

He's like the Candyman. ;)

Anyway, I've had a lot of success using the more obscure colour correction filters in tungsten lights as warm/cool washes. I particularly like 236 and 237 as warm backlight colours.

The other one that I've seen and had to ask what it was was Lee 711, the Tungsten to HMI correction - it almost felt like the light was "silver" in the context I saw it in.

The important thing with theatrical use of colour is that colour isn't absolute; colours come up against each other, and it is the relationship of the colours that deliver the mood response. Thus there are no "right" or even "righteous" colours; there are colours that look right in combination.

I've always liked L156 Chocolate & L017 Surprise Peach esp in footlights and L777 Rust is great as a not-too-orangy orange. I rediscovered L048 Rose Purple and L049 Medium Purple last year which was a pleasant surprise.

Never underestimate the colour corrects - a show I did the touring relight / design butchering for last year was largely lit by L205, L206, L201 and L200 and it looked great, something I'm going to take forward into my design for Oliver later this year. The green flourescent corrects are also worth a look - they'res some odd subtle colours in there that are green without being GREEEEEEEN!

Ian

There seems to be a lot of talk of this chocolate colour, Rekon it may be worth hunting it out! And I've struggled looking for greens that don't look completly out of place! So good to hear what other people have found, I'll have a look at them too! Was worth asking. Found some interesting colours that id normally flick strait past :)

If you've never used 156 (Chocolate) before the most important thing is NOT to look at the gel on its own, but to stick it in a lantern and look at it against skin - the result is almost the complete opposite of what you might expect. 017 is not a dissimmilar colour and is given the much more appropriate name "Surprise Peach".

Archived