Cheap radio mics

jamlucas

No "folk report".... just look in the JFMG's archives...

16/3/2006 Cleaning-up at the NEC during Crufts JFMG were on-site at Birmingham’s National Exhibition Centre (NEC) last week to support all licensed users’ operations. This year’s premier dog show coincided with the X-Factor Live UK tour at the adjacent NEC Arena. The operation was planned in response to feedback from users at the 2005 show.Working closely with Ofcom’s

regional staff and with the full support of the event organisers, interference reports were investigated and unlicensed operations traced. This included licensed Ch69 users straying way off their permitted channels into Ch61. Ofcom are following-up.

Also look at their other event activities...

But importantly, JFMG have no powers to sieze equipment. They may well have spectrum analysers and test aerials, but importantly it's only working in partnership with Ofcom that they can enforce such rules. And Ofcom do have some pretty big teeth (and some very nice equipment).

The WT act is a bit of a pain to enforce. By the letter of the law, it's actually illegal to receive a signal which you're not licensed for. Try teling that to every aviation enthusiast out there with a scanner! It ain't going to happen. In practice, the whole "it's illegal to own a piece of equipment that can transmit on an unlicensed frequency" thing would only ever be used if a genuine offense had been committed, and then there would be lots of other evidence as well. A colleague of mine used to be an Ofcom inspector and he tells of raids on pirate radio stations. Not only would they seize the transmitter (which often wasn't on site at the studio - too easy to direction find) but also record collections, mixers, telephone equipment. Anything that helps build a picture of there being pirate radio activity.

So in short, somebody isn't going to walk in and say "that transmitter (sat on the shelf switched off) is for a frequency you don't have a license for, you're nicked". They may however say "we've had a complaint of interference, we have spectrum plots showing a transmission and we direction found this location, oh and look, there's a transmitter, you're nicked".

I'd be interested to know if the guys at the NEC were from JFMG or Ofcom. I highly doubt it'd be Ofcom, as they seem to have less and less staff every day, and they all seem to be in London at the minute! The numbers and figures they're having to deal with for the olympics look very scary!

It's an interesting job. I've certainly felt a bit jealous when I've worked alongside our Ofcom colleagues in the past.

Edit - beaten to it by Simon! It was JFMG!

Archived