How much is that MagicQ??

jona1984

As far as I'm aware, 3rd Party Interfaces can only be used on Universe 1. If you really need 2 universes, just buy some of Chamsys' hardware. It's good quality, not overly expensive for the features of the software (it's actually still bloomin' good value for the software even with spending on the hardware)

Josh

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so does that mean you could use a mini wing on universe 2 and a non chamsys on universe 1??

Not sure, my PCwing always takes up universe 1 & 2, it's a while since I tried to change it but I don't think you can move them. The best bet for third party DMX interfaces if you want flexibility is any artnet type as you can assign any universe. Enttec do a single universe version, about double the price of the usb pro but a lot more useful.

I'm just ordering the chamsys 4port ethernet unit myself, 4 universes output/input plus 1 dedicated input and it unlocks all the software features. Pricey compared to the single universe alternatives but a great addition to anyone who needs more than a couple of universes.

- is it possible to use external controllers with the Chamsys software? Such as MIDI controllers etc

yep,as long as you buy the chamsys midi box

Oh really? So a standard MIDI controller won't work? That would be a shame....

So a standard MIDI controller won't work? That would be a shame

Almost any midi device will work with chamsys,but you need one of there midi interfaces to get midi into chamsys .I think its great that I don't need to pay for part of the desk I'd hardly ever use,and they got to make some money somehow,considering the cost of the actual software

A standard midi controller will work with MagicQ fine. It's all down to how you configure it in the miditable.txt file. To get the MIDI signal into MagicQ in the first place you need to get one of our USB to MIDI adapters then you just plug your MIDI controller using a standard MIDI cable.

You could save some money and get more functionality using one of our wings rather than trying to hack around with a MIDI interface though.

Out of interest, why do you feel that it's a shame that you can't get a fully functioning desk for free without supporting the company who wrote the software for you?

• 2 weeks later...

A standard midi controller will work with MagicQ fine. It's all down to how you configure it in the miditable.txt file. To get the MIDI signal into MagicQ in the first place you need to get one of our USB to MIDI adapters then you just plug your MIDI controller using a standard MIDI cable.

You could save some money and get more functionality using one of our wings rather than trying to hack around with a MIDI interface though.

Out of interest, why do you feel that it's a shame that you can't get a fully functioning desk for free without supporting the company who wrote the software for you?

It's a shame in that the software is so close to being fully functional but isn't quite. But then I guess that's the Chamsys ploy to make money, and there's nothing wrong with that.... Don't get me wrong, when I say 'it's a shame' I'm not complaining, I'm just saying that it's a good piece of software but falls down by requiring external hardware whereas other lighting software doesn't; as a method of 'teasing' users into buying expensive hardware it's pretty good.

glad to see the union is thinking of moving to chamsys. you should get a pc wing like mine there great!!

We might well do! Are you still using your homemade desk?? That was a beauty!! We've bought one of those MagicDMX dongles to try out this MagicQ software. It's pretty good... It's no Azure desk tho! :-)

So Chamsys give you the software for FREE, allow you to use it with third-party DMX interfaces for FREE, and you still complain? (And you are complaining, even though you may say that you aren't) Its not a ploy for Chamsys to make money, nor is the hardware particularly expensive. Checked the price of any other lighting desk recently? £2600+VAT gets you an Avo Titan Mobile. Thats quite a bit more than most of the Chamsys wings.

Heres a quick economics lesson for you: the reason all lighting desks appear to cost a lot of money is because they are expensive to develop and build, and they will only sell in really quite small numbers when compared to equally complex items such as computers and phones. The money has to come from somewhere so this must be passed on to the customer.

Moderation: I just removed some material that is just chit-chat between people who have been posting here, and consisting of one sentence and a huge lump of nested quotes - can we conduct this type of thing by pm please - it doesn't really further the topic.

Wow. I feel like I've just been 'whacked' by the Chamsys mafia. Thanks for stepping in, Mod; just wanted to check it's still okay to hold an opinion without being accused of being a complaining cheapskate...

After this outpouring of hatred I may just flash our lights by flipping the breakers on and off...... ;)

Archived