Using a C02 fire extinguisher on stage

jessicathanki

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is certainly some risk in use of carbon dioxide in small enclosed spaces, but for stage use I would not worry unless the venue is extremely small, and in a basement and poorly ventilated.

CO2 extinguishers are considered in law to be pressure vessels, and after a certain number of years must be subjected to hydraulic testing, or in practice be replaced as this is cheaper than testing for small pressure vessels.

Therefore any large fire extinguisher firm should have a supply of nearly outdated CO2 extinguishers that could be used on stage at little cost.

Another source of old fire extinguishers would be an office removals/office clearance contractor.

Many companies that relocate purchase or hire new extinguishers for their new offices, leaving the removal firm to dispose of the old ones.

CO2 extinguishers are considered in law to be pressure vessels, and after a certain number of years must be subjected to hydraulic testing, or in practice be replaced as this is cheaper than testing for small pressure vessels.

Therefore any large fire extinguisher firm should have a supply of nearly outdated CO2 extinguishers that could be used on stage at little cost.

<coughs>

<Points at post #6 in the topic>

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure it's a CO2 (carbon dioxide) extinguisher that you use for the effect. It's very visual and pretty harmless compared to other extinguishers like powder ones that can cause damage to technical equipment.

and cause one HELL of a mess!! (powder that is)

I've been trapped inside a shipping container of bouncy castles when one of these powder extinguishers has gone off.... I was a bright orange colour for weeks and not to mention the terrinle cough it give you

If the OP is still looking, it strikes me that a MiniMister with a fake fire extinguisher cover might do the trick, though they're quite big. They last for a longer time, though - only had to change the canister once a week for The Wizard of Oz with big blasts of it every time either of the witches entered.

Archived